Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonel Robert Alexander Smith.

Pards,
    I have been given the honor of laying the wreath at a commeration service on Saturday 15th September this weekend for Colonel Robert Alexander Smith .
    When Robert Alexander Smith was young his wealthy parents who owned a linen manufacturing business in Edinburgh ,Scotland planned that he should become a lawyer or a minister.
    However at the age of 14 in1850 he left for Jackson, Mississippi to live with his brother and sister.
    In 1852 at age 16 he joined the Mississippi Rifles and became renowned for his shooting ability.
    He fought for the Confederacy when war broke out and soon became Colonel of the 10th Mississippi Infantry.
    He fell mortally wounded leading a charge on Fort Craig at the battle of Munfordsville ,Kentucky on Sept 14th 1862.
    He died a week later on Sept 21st 1862.
    His brother built a monument in his memory which at the time was the tallest personal monument in America.
    Although buried in America there is a replica monument in the Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh ,Scotland.
    It gives me great pride to help honor this brave gentleman who was a Scots/American.
    There are hundreds of graves and memorials all over the United Kingdom and myself and my pard Bill Brown with the help of the Scottish Veterans Society locate and tend them.
    Deo Vindice,
    Jason Tailford
    18th Virginia Infantry
    Co G
    Nottoway Grays

Temperance Mess
    Dixie Volunteers.

Re: Colonel Robert Alexander Smith.

greetings from bonnie scotland

My good pard Jason, in his excitement as to being asked to help out the Scottish Veterans at the commeration service for Colonel Smith, got a few things wrong!
    The Scottish Veterans contacted myself some months ago to see if we could help them out, as they have never done a Confederate service before, they found out that I tend Colonel Smiths monument,( the Scottish Veterans are a group over here who honour all Scottish soldiers that fought in various wars ). They are now trying to find Scots that fought in the war between the States. They don’t located and tend them.
    We have been locating graves over here in the UK for some years now.The work was started by a man named John Collier from England. He had family members that fought on both sides of the conflict. He is a member of the SCV, and the SUV. He has books out telling you where to locate the graves.
    As a member of the SCV myself, when John gets new information concerning grave sites of Scottish Confederate soldiers, I take it upon myself, with others, to try and find them. If there’s any family relatives still alive, we ask there permission to tend the said plot. We also help out John in the finding of Union boys as well.

I had the the honour of visiting Colonel Smiths monument at Fort Craig, Kentucky, as you know its on private land it’s a massive monument. My pard Jason says there is a replica here in Scotland (I wish there was), but I’m afraid its not in the same grandeur standard as in the original. If any of you ever get over here and want to visit Colonel Smiths monument, don’t expect one the same size as the original. Ours is big but no way near the size of the one in KY. Look for the Confederate grave marker or contact myself and i‘ll gladly take you to it.

The last bit of my rambling confuses me, as my pard says Colonel Smith was a Scots /American. I do not believe there is such a thing!, as i do not believe there is any other nationality/Americans. If you are born in Scotland you are Scottish and if you are born in America you are a American .

I hope I have not bored you all to much, but if any of you would like to see photos of our work I could email you.

All the best from Bonnie Scotland
    CAPT BILL BROWN 43rd NC.
    SCV MURFREESBORO CAMP #33
    CSA UNKNOWN SOLDIERS CAMP#1753.
    email
    Bill.brown@blueyonder.co.uk
    WILLIAM BROWN

Comment

GREETINGS FROM BONNIE SCOTLAND
      Just thought you would like to see the new stone that I had made for Col. R A.Smith
      The old sandstone monument was getting harder to read.
      His stone is one of the main talking points on the official tours round the Dean cemetary in Edinburgh
      There will be a dedication later in the year.

All the best from Bonnie Scotland
      BILL BROWN 43rd NC.
      SCV MURFREESBORO CAMP #33
      CSA UNKNOWN SOLDIERS CAMP#1753.
      Widows Sons Mess. FRIENDSHIP 1712 Edinburgh, Scotland
      email
      Bill.brown@blueyonder.co.uk

Comment

Jason and Bill,

May ye ne'er want a frien' or a dram to gie him.

Thank you both for speaking up for the memory of Col. Smith and for tending to his memorial in Scotland. I am acquainted with Mr. John Collier and his fine work in documenting the graves of Confederate veterans in Europe, including men who were born in America.

My father's parents were British, one Scottish and one English. Like Col. Smith, they were full fledged Americans and full blooded Brits. No hypens, no confusion, no problems.

God bless the South and Scotland forever!

Fergus Bell
        Coloner Phillip Alexander Work Camp # 1790
        Woodville, Texas
        Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
        Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
        X