Past Master's Emblem CA - NY - KY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Master's Emblem CA - NY - KY

Can anyone tell me if the Past Master's emblem was of use during the war? I am referring the the Past Masters' emblem that is used in California, Kentucky and New York - it is a compass with a rocker instead of a square.
    1) Duncan's Ritual 3rd edition 1866 uses the Past Master's emblem for the 5th degree.
    2) I have several instances in the early 20th century where the emblem was presented to Past Masters. Thge earliest I can authenticate is 1906.
    3) "Revolutionary Brotherhood" by Steven C. Bullock has a copy of a summons on page 88 that includes the emblem. The summons is from Philapdelphia Lodge No. 7. and is dated 1761.
    4) "A Masonic Tribute: The Sesquicentennial of the Constitution of the United States of America " has a painting of Washington by H. Burdette wearing the emblem. The book, which published CA 1937, also has a undated portrait showing Washington wearing the emblem. The caption for the portrait is as follows. "The Masonic portrait on the left was painted from life by William Williams, Mason..."
    I have talked with Brother William G. Hinton, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Kentucky and he can find no evidence to confirm or deny. I consider Brother Hinton the foremost Masonic historian in Kentucky.
    I am talking with Brother Craddock about making me a Past Master apron if it is period correct.
    As you can see I have evidence that indicates it would be period correct for the Civil War but no evidence that proves it. I tend to be conservative and don't want to wear something I cannot prove.
    Any feedback appreciated.
    David Gambrel
    Master, Lincoln Lodge No. 60
    Past Master, Waynesburg Lodge No. 328

Re: Past Master's Emblem CA - NY - KY

Brother Gambrel,

Here is a photo of George Washington's PM jewel.

Now, this is a jewel and NOT an apron, but the PM emblem goes way back before the Civil War. So, the emblem itself is certainly period. Now I need to find the image of a period apron with a PM emblem on it.
    Attached Files
    PATRICK CRADDOCK
    Prometheus No. 851
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Widows' Sons Mess
    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Ok, have just finished a search for mid-nineteenth century PM aprons in my portfolio....

I found TWO that are definitely 1840 to 1865 and ONE that dates (I believe) to 1870.

Unfortunately I cannot share images of the first two as they are in private collections and I've been asked not to make them public. But, I can give a simple description.

The first (ca 1850) is on lambskin and has a similar shape to the standard "classic lambskin" that I sell. It is edged with silk fringe. The center design on the body of the aprons is a PM emblem.. The PM emblem has a blue ribbon bow from which is hung the letter "G". Other symbols displayed on the body, around the PM emblem, are: sun, moon and stars, coffin, bee hive, crossed swords, Jacob's ladder, plumb and level, and All Seeing Eye. The bib is decorated with a rainbow!

The second (ca 1850) is gilt wire embroidered on silk. The body of the apron is decorated with, what we in TN would call a Past Grand Master's jewel - the compasses with square AND quadrant, a pair of columns, the checkered pavement, a sprig of acacia, and the sun and moon. The bib is decorated with a blazon star with the letter "G" in the center. This apron is edges with dark blue silk ribbon.

The third (ca 1870) is in the collection of Hiram Lodge No. 7 in Franklin, TN. I will scan the picture and post it in the next post.
      PATRICK CRADDOCK
      Prometheus No. 851
      Franklin, Tennessee
      Widows' Sons Mess
      www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Comment

Ok, here is the one owned by Hiram No. 7 in Franklin, TN

It is (I believe ca. 1870) made of lambskin with a hand decorated PM emblem on the body with an All Seeing Eye on the flap. There is evidence that the flap was once trimmed with a ribbon of some kind.

Please excuse the color quality and orientation of the photo. My printer was low on ink when the original image was printed...but you can get the picture of what is going on with the apron.
        Attached Files
        PATRICK CRADDOCK
        Prometheus No. 851
        Franklin, Tennessee
        Widows' Sons Mess
        www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Comment

Thanks for your reply. It looks like most brothers in the 1800s had their individual aprons, handmade, usually by their wfe. The notation of office was by the sash and jewel.
          In George Washington's case his "famous" apron was made by Madam Lafayette.

Comment

Working...
          X