Mason frees a Rebel from Libby Prison- account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mason frees a Rebel from Libby Prison- account

Came across this interesting story from the Personal Reminiscences of Robert H. Crump (22nd Va. Battalion/CSMC) in our park files.

To briefly summarize, Crump was an infantryman during the Seven Days Campaign and re-enlisted in 1864 during a call for troops. He chose the C.S. Navy with the intent of being stationed near his home and family at Drewry's Bluff, Va. During the Evacuation of Richmond, the troops were notified to evacuate the fort "at a moment's notice", and he secured a furlough to see his family before he was sent elsewhere. The city fell before his leave expired, and in a vain attempt to rejoin his unit, he got captured by USCTs.

He was charged as being a spy (evidently, based on his civilian clothing being not quite soldierly) and was sent to Libby Prison in Richmond (Union forces had taken it over and used it as their own at this point). Anyways, the point as to why this is in the Fraternal Orders section:

"I was tried for a spy, and at the trial the strongest thing against me was that I was dressed a great deal better than the ordinary soldier. Things were looking quite dark for me when a friend, Mr. Squires, happened to be passing, and I had him called in as a witness. Upon examination, he stated that he knew me; that I was a citizen of Richmond; that he would be perfectly willing to take my word as true for any statement that I would make; and that if I said I was not a spy, he would know that it was a fact; that he was a Northern man. Upon this evidence I was acquitted of the charge and sent to Libby Prison as a prisoner of war. Upon my arrival at Libby, I found two of my brothers there, Thomas and John. My brother Thomas was taken very sick, and I was also in very feeble condition after the exposure incident to my recent attempt to rejoin the army. I requested a friend, who was a Mason, to see the commander of the prison, who was also a Mason, and get permission for my brother and myself to be removed to my home, where I remained until after the close of the war."
    Some things that come to my mind:
    1. He obviously came to find out that the [Federal] officer was a Mason; needed another Mason to communicate his problem (thus, he was not a Mason himself)
    2. Not sure who was the one in charge of Libby when Union troops used it in April 1865
    3. Friendly-Masonic relations can apparently free you, or at least help your situation (oh, along with your two brothers)

Interesting.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut
Working...
X