19th Century Masonic Tombstones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th Century Masonic Tombstones

Call me weird, but there are two things I enjoy looking at in a cemetery. Civil War stones and Masonic stones of the 19th Century. I have seen several that are very unique in my area, I will shoot a few with a camera later on when the weather is nice and post them.

I was hoping that some of you might do the same in your home areas.

Here is the one that made me curious about the Lodge in the early 90's. The compass and square is a little hard to see because of the moss. This is one of my gg- grandfathers, he did not serve in the war. He was a charter member of the Wallace Lodge #495 in Fountain County ,Indiana and served as the first J.W. of the lodge.
    Last edited by boozie; 02-08-2008, 08:30 PM.
    sigpic
    Grandad Wm. David Lee
    52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
    - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Re: 19th Century Masonic Tombstones

DUDE!

Boozie, I thought Hicks and I were the only wack jobs that wondered around cemeteries taking photos of Masonic headstones!

As a matter of fact I was going to start a thread on this very subject in the next few days because I am working on a paper and visual presentation entitled "Memento Mori: A History of Masonic Grave Stones."

So, Brothers, PLEASE add to this discussion! I still need example of different stones from around the country.

Here is a fun example that I add. This is from the Old City Cemetery in Nashville. I will add to this thread often in the coming days and weeks!
    Attached Files
    PATRICK CRADDOCK
    Prometheus No. 851
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Widows' Sons Mess
    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

I, too, have a profound intrest in cemetaries and Masonic tombstones. I will post some pics from the Old Gray here in Knoxville.

Cheers
      Greg S Barnett
      Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
      ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Good, I no longer have to try to explain to my 5 year old son that Daddy isn't too wierd for taking these pictures and stopping at every old cemetray we pass. I have some pics that I will also post soon.

Best reagrds Brothers,
        Thad Gallagher
        Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
        49th Ohio
        Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Re: cemeteries

Gentlemen,
          My real job is with the Texas Historical Commission's Cemetery Preservation program. We walk through cemeteries and take pictures all the time and love it. I get to look through photos of Texas cemeteries on a daily basis if I find any great masonic examples I'll see what I can do about posting them.
          Annette Bethke
          Austin TX
          Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
          [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Here are a couple from near me. These headstones are from a small cemetery in the middle of a corn field. Not only does it have these Brethern, but there are multiple War of 1812 vets there, and a couple of ACW vets that I have been able to research. I am attempting to get in touch with the lodge that was nearest to these and see if I can obtaine any info. Enjoy.

This info I could read off of this one is:

Horatio P. Dye
            Died Oct. 22, 1859
            Attached Files
            Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
            49th Ohio
            Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

The other one:

John Gunn
              Born in Oxfordshire England, Jan. 1, 1800
              Died April 8, 1873

It also has a War of 1812 marker with it, interesting...
              Attached Files
              Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
              49th Ohio
              Huber Heights #777 F&AM

Comment

Annette,

POST AWAY! Please share some pics of Texas Masonic tombstones with us!

Thad,

GREAT pics!

Here is another from the Old Nashville Cemetery. Hummm. I have an image of the entire stone, but keep getting a "failed" message while trying to up-load it.

Anyway, this Brother seems to have connections to two different Fraternal organizations. Looks alot like the pin Brother Greg posted on the material culture thread, doesn't it?
                Attached Files
                PATRICK CRADDOCK
                Prometheus No. 851
                Franklin, Tennessee
                Widows' Sons Mess
                www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Well, after reading some of the postings on this thread, I felt inspired and made a trip out. The cemetary I went to, Woodland Cemetary, is the largest in Dayton, OH. It has some big names there, such as the Wright Bros, Erma Bombeck, and even Clement Vallandigham. There is a large CW section as well. I have not been there since I began the search for light. I have been there many times looking for CW headstones, as well as for realtives funerals. Due to its size I drove around and just stopped for ones that caught my eye. I think I will be doing some more walking when it warms up. I realize I am very new to Masonry, so I have to ask if there is a link between it and the "Odd Fellows", or just another fraternity? I have noticed alot of markers with both.

The marker for Daniel Eichelberger appeared to have a date of 6/2/53 or 58. Nice to seen one pre-ACW. I will have more to come.

Patrick, I will send more on to you, along with more details if you would like for your studies.
                  Attached Files
                  Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                  49th Ohio
                  Huber Heights #777 F&AM

Comment

Bros. Pat and Thad, great pics! I don't believe I have ever seen anything like the one in your first image Pat. Thanks for posting them, I hope to see many more on here from all over the country. As I said before,i'll take some when the weather is a little better here. Six inches of snow and a cemetery don't mix.

At least I don't feel so alone as far as touring cemeteries.:)
                    Last edited by boozie; 02-02-2008, 05:20 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Grandad Wm. David Lee
                    52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                    - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I found this headstone in an old cemetery in south Arkansas. The last person buried there was back in 1975. The inscription says it all. Also here is a picture of a veteran that is buried in the cemetery where my family is buried in south Arkansas. Thanks for starting this thread, it will be an interesting one for sure.
                      Last edited by 3rd arkansawyer; 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM.
                      Larry Young
                      Deo Volente

DeQuincy F&AM #279 PM
                      Pelican Civil War Lodge F&AM #1861

"ITPW" Survivor"
                      Proud member of "The Independent Rifles"

11th TVI
                      "Swamp Angels Mess"
                      Proud decendant of Freeman Hughes 33rd Ark Co. G
                      John McGowan 19th Ark Co.K (Dockerys)
                      D.R. Booth 3rd Ark Co.G Three CReeks Rifles

Comment

Here are two of my favorite stones. Both are located in the Old Gray Cemetery in Knoxville. Both have several symbols that could use explanation. I know most of the symbols, but expansion would be great. My five year old is like me and is fascinated by cemeteries. He can spot a Masonic or fraternal symbol quicker than I can.

My uploads are failing. I will try and post these later. They are worth the wait!
                        Last edited by Greg Barnett; 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM. Reason: Pictures would not upload.
                        Greg S Barnett
                        Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                        ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Bros
                          I took these photos when i visited the McGAVOCK confederate cemetery when i was in Franklin Tennessee.
                          I have other masonic grave photos from my trips to the States ill post later,
                          also when im out over here in Scotland looking for graves of scottish soldiers who fought in the American Cvil War, ( I locate them and put markers down)
                          I also look for old masonic stones as well would you like to see old masonic stones from Scotland ?

all the best

Bill 1712 friendship , Edinburgh.
                          W S MESS
                          Attached Files
                          WILLIAM BROWN

Comment

Originally posted by TATTOOS1 View Post
                            Bros

I also look for old masonic stones as well would you like to see old masonic stones from Scotland ?

all the best

Bill 1712 friendship , Edinburgh.
                            W S MESS
                            Yes... please share those pictures with us!
                            Brian Hicks
                            Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

It would be great to those from Scotland, along with the ACW vets that you may have.

All the best,
                              Thad
                              Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                              49th Ohio
                              Huber Heights #777 F&AM

Comment

Working...
                              X