Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugle Cords, Instrument Deaign Types, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugle Cords, Instrument Deaign Types, etc.

Hi there! I'm a new reenactor hoping to be thoroughly in the authentic ballpark and I'm looking for a good source for bugle cords, or any information you folks might deem helpful in researching them. I'm not planning on knotting it on very fancily, just looping it around and tying it to protect the brass from my hand and to sling it over my shoulder. If there's any advice about where to source a good bugle cord and a good way to tie it I readily accept it. If it makes any difference, the kind of bugle I am about to come into the possession of(currently on its way!) is of the longer clairon pattern.

On that note, I'm interested in doing some more research on the actual variants of the various horns used by the Federal Army, I've been wondering about the more compact, stubbier, "officer's bugle"(later called "trench bugles" as well I believe), as I've seen it called. Under what circumstances would these have been issued rather than the longer clairon style, and was it exclusive to officers? I know that officers were expected, at least theoretically, to be able to play the various calls if need be. Any and all information that you think a rookie bugler may find useful or interesting is welcome. I am currently working on my primary research skills, so I come to you for assistance.

I thoroughly appreciate any advice the old guard can offer, and I thank you for your patience as this is my first AC post(yay!!!).

Adam Lee

Professional Greenhorn, Eager Amateur
    Private, Co. F - 20th Infantry Regt. Maine Volunteers

/ / BAYONETS! / /
    ~Jeff Daniels ;)
    Adam Lee

Adam,
    The "Draft" 1865 Quartermaster Manual gives information and specifications for bugles, trumpets (you probably know the difference, I don't,) and worsted cords and tassels for bugles and trumpets. Also the 1866 collection of uniform photos includes images of three different musicians posed with such which have tassels attached to them. Those, if not familiar to you, are the ones with the "bearded dude" posing in the full array of Federal uniforms and accouterments that appear in many publications. If you can locate the set of those (perhaps online,) that may help with your question.

If still unsuccessful message me and perhaps I can help since published copies of the reprinted QM Manual are rare and it is out of print.

Dick Milstead
    The Company of Military Historians
    Liberty Rifles
    Richard Milstead

Comment

Richard, thanks for the great info. The famous "bearded dude" has in fact shaped how I attach my bugle cord. As for the '65 QM Manual, I appreciate that tidbit greatly, I'll look into finding an online copy and I'll scour that. Thanks!

Adam Lee
      Professional Greenhorn, Eager Amateur
      Private, Co. F - 20th Infantry Regt. Maine Volunteers

/ / BAYONETS! / /
      ~Jeff Daniels ;)

Adam Lee

Comment

Working...
      X