Highlander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander

Here is an image from my brother's collection. The subject is wearing traditional Highlander gear and, as such, the image may not be exactly Civil War. However, I have matched, digitally, the face with a known image of David Morrison, Bvt. Brig. Gen, 79th New York (my gggg grandfather) and I am 99.99999% sure it is him, as the bone structure is virtually identical.

While I do not have the image at hand, I do recall the back mark to be from New York. With a bit more research I may be able to put the puzzle pieces together.

Kind of an interesting story behind this one... It was purchased off of eBay for it's Scottish theme and it wasn't until I was framing it for him that the notion crossed our minds that it may be our ancestor! At any rate, for your enjoyment...
    Attached Files
    [FONT=microsoftsansserif][SIZE=2]James R. Pfeiffer

Re: Highlander

well i am up in oregon with the N.C.W.C. and i re-enact with the 79th NY
    Co.c cameron highlanders and its good to see a photo from the war of a 79th man i like it!!!

Please sign your full name to every post. We do not allow unsigned or anonymous posts on these forums. JS Moderator.
    Last edited by Yellowhammer; 02-02-2004, 06:02 PM.
    Charles Ford

Comment

Is Pipey still playing up there in Oregon?
      Regards,
      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Enterprising Scots (both here and in Scotland) have dressed folks up in "traditional highland garb" and photographed them for a price for as long as there has been photography.

"Military Images" ran a pic a few years back a broadly smiling fellow in a Victorian era uniform of an officer of a British Highland regiment. Unfortunatey for collectors of such images, the wet plate image was struck in the 1940's and the subject was a 8th Air Force bomber crewman.
        John Stillwagon

Comment

This image is ABSOLUTELY not anyone from the 79th, at least not during the war. There is not one item in the photograph that bears any resemblence to any documented piece of 79th gear. There are some post-war 79th images out there (pics available upon request), and though they do very little good for researching the war-time look of the unit(you'll have to read for that, text available upon request) they are far better than using a photo of any old Scotsman. I have an image not unlike this one taken in Ill. It seems that there was the just as high of a number of Scotsmen being photographed in traditional dress in the 1860's as there are people who want to say they are from the 79th today.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
          [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
          X