Confederate Sympathizers in Missouri - Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Sympathizers in Missouri - Photo

I don't know where I got this. I know, that was kind of stupid of me not to document that, but it was labeled Confederate Sympathizers in Missouri, May 1862.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Confederate Sympathizers in Missouri - Photo

Nice of them to all come together and take a photo for posterity!;)
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Hi,

Nice photo!!!!!
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Yep, Very Neat picture's!

Wes,

Comment

Michael,
          That was the pic I was talking about with you at Athens. I first saw it in the book “THE SOUTH BESIEGED", VOLUME FIVE OF THE IMAGES OF WAR 1861-1865. The caption states: ”Here in St. Charles, Missouri, on November 4, 1862, a group of suspected Confederate sympathizers pose for the camera. Missouri would cause more problems of civilian unrest and aid to the enemy than any other border state.” The picture is from the International Museum of Photography.
          Brian Baird

Comment

Thanks for that info Brian. It's good to know. For those not familiar - St. Charles is at the mouth of the Missouri where it empties into the Mississippi and is just north of St. Louis.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Hi,

That is really cool, I live just about 30min from St. Charles. Thanks for posting the information, Mr. Baird.
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hello,

I'm new here and some scanning of the rules here did not make me aware of rules or restrictions on replying to "old" posts such as this one.

I am trying to find a higher resolution scan of the image that is the topic of this thread. Thus far, I have been unable to find any online reference to this photo in the Eastman International Museum of Film and Photography or via "googling" the image caption.

Thanks to anyone who might have a copy they can post or share via PM, or even any addtional background info, such as the photographer's identity.

It's quite an interesting image and this was one of several images I was waiting with great anticipation to see in digital form upon joining this community.

Thanks and cheers!
                John Kagi
                Holmes' Brigade
                ------
                Ancestral CW units:
                1st Kansas Infantry
                2nd Cavalry, Missouri State Militia
                16th Virginia Cavalry
                47th Iowa Infantry

Comment

I recently contacted the George Eastman House and International Museum of Photography about this photograph. What I have so far is the accession number - 1985:1083:0001. I e-mailed them to find out more, ie. format (tintype, albumen print etc.) photographer, and the like, but so far, no response yet. A scan of this image can be ordered through them. Great photo!

John Pellarin

Comment

That's a great collection of slouch hats pictured. Thanks for posting the image.
                    [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                    [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                    16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                    22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                    &
                    [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                    4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

There are some very good and under represented hats in the is picture. The fellow 4th from the left in the back row looks like he is wearing a Federal M1858 dress hat with some holes in the crown. I just got a "bell" crown from Clearwater Hats like the chap 5th from the right in the backrow.

This is a good pic for facial hair. Chin beards, Excellciors, goatees, and full beards. Only a couple are clean shaven!

Love the wild print on the vest of the guy in the front row seated 3rd from the left.
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                      X