Field Hospitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Hospitals

Next month I will be serving as Confederate Surgeon at Bristoe Station and am planning to get Robert Szabo to take a photograph of our Field Hospital Sunday morning before it breaks up.

I will be the doctor and will have overnight patients, male nurses, and an orderly.

We will be set up with only a fly tent for canvas.

Anyone have any original images online which I can look at to use as the basis for the photograph?

Thanks!
    Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
    Southern Division

Re: Field Hospitals

From my research it was a set up what you have atmosphere and depending on the time frame towards the end suplies were hard to obtain.

Me I protray a surgeon from the 23 NC I made an apothicary chest and small writting desk. Although they set up hospitols in houses it's just not possible to do so at reenactments a wall tent and fly although most operations were done in the open to afford greator lighting.
    There seems to be great arcives federally but since they destroyed the confederate medical archives there is little known exept whats written in personal diaries.
    Good luck to you hope to see you on the field.

Capt. TH Avera Medical Div. 23 North Carolina Pee Dee guards Inf aka Bill Gent

Comment

There is some of what youre looking for here

Over 1,000 High Resolution Civil War Images, Photographs and Cartes de Visites

I recomend #35, 322, 417, 601

Hope this helps
      Steven Flibotte
      Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
      Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
      Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Thanks so much!
        Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
        Southern Division

Comment

Hey Harry!
          I know I'm coming to this thread a little late however, try this link click here. Once you're finished perusing through the pics on this page scroll down and type whatever into the search engine and see what you can find. I hope it helps some???
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]I Remain, Your Obedient Servant[/I]
          [COLOR="Black"][B]Jimmy "Doc" Nelson[/B][/color][/font]
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
          Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels[/FONT]

[I][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I am late as well. Back in the late 90s when I was doing my thesis in Command and General Staff College....the Development of the Medical Evac System of the American Civil War, I found the Manager of the Museum of the Academy of Health and Sciences at Ft Sam Houston, Texas to be a great help. I remember him having several books full of pictures.

If I can answer any questions please let me know.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to give you another possible resource. George Wunderlich is the Executive Director of the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, Maryland. They have a great staff there and, they've always been helpful in my research of period medicine. You can also check out their website for general info, as well as contact info: click here.
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]I Remain, Your Obedient Servant[/I]
              [COLOR="Black"][B]Jimmy "Doc" Nelson[/B][/color][/font]
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
              Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels[/FONT]

[I][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"]In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums will be helping out with the Field Hospital.

We have made two reproduction Hallsted Litters to specifications using period hand tools. A ton of work was put into these stretchers. I think you are going to like them.

We have also been working on making several Ambulance Corps Bands for the scenario as well.

I am looking forward to the Bristoe Station event. It will be great to have a period image taken!

See you in a few days!
                Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Harry,

I'd like to see some photos of your field hospital once you get it set up for your impression.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B][SIZE="3"]James Cannon[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sons of Confederate Veterans, Henry Watkins Allen Camp #133 (Baton Rouge, LA)[/FONT]
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Louisiana State Militia, 10th Brigade[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]“The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell.” [/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Beasley View Post
                    I am late as well. Back in the late 90s when I was doing my thesis in Command and General Staff College....the Development of the Medical Evac System of the American Civil War, I found the Manager of the Museum of the Academy of Health and Sciences at Ft Sam Houston, Texas to be a great help. I remember him having several books full of pictures.

If I can answer any questions please let me know.

GO ARMY BEAT NAVY!

Dale I actually do have a few questions about modern equipment and ambulances if you have the time some time.
                    Brian Schwatka
                    Co. K 3rd US Regulars
                    "Buffsticks"

Comment

Working...
                    X