"Ever notice this"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ever notice this"

Sir and Ma'am, these photos of "Cooks in the Kitchen of Soldiers Rest, Alexandria, Va, July 1865 (image 667) and "Patients in Ward K of Armory Square - Washington, D.C., August 1865 (image 597) are both in buildings with particular details I've never noticed. By enlargeing the photo, "cooks kitchen", there looks to be a boiler with two "flexible hoses" connecting to a couple of water pipes heading to the slop sink. The lines from the wall to ceiling look to adjust ventilation and or lighting. The other aspect which is common in both photos is the black gas line. The "cooks kitchen" has lines which tee off main line and turn down overhead for lighting. The "Ward K" building also looks to have gas line lighting in overhead middle area. Looks like a flexible hose attached to "gas line" going to some instrument or appliance on the floor by the cots. The other matter of notice would be the "Corps Badge Designs" on the walls. http://www.civilwarphotos.net/ Click "Military Life", image 667; Also click "Medical and Hospitals", image 597. My two cents and thanks for the consideration.
    Last edited by yeoman; 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM. Reason: "URL"
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: "Ever notice this"

Sir and Ma'am, in "Civil War, A Complete Photographic History" by William C. Davis and Bell L. Wiley is another view of "Ward K" (photo above) taken from the other end of the building. The photo credit is USAMHI. I am unable to find this photo online but If I may quote the photo description, "Armory Square was far more open and pleasant, with military insignia on the walls, the word "Excelsior" over one door, and an inspirational poster at the end of the ward. "The true characteristic of a perfect warrior," it reads, "should be fear of God, love of country, respect for the laws, preference of honor to lawlessness, and to life itself."
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Could that boiler realy be for generating coal gas? It looks like it may be connected to gas lights.
      Thanks,

Mark C. Foster
      Flint, Mi

Comment

Sir,the TIFF LOC version of this image does not show a clear fitting of these different size lines. As I look at the sink on the right I follow two conduits which 90 up and 90 over, supported by lumber between the joists, they look to connect to the two "flexible" lines. I may be wrong but for my two cents it looks to be a water heater.
        In another photograph, IMHO, there looks to be a gas line overhead between buildings. http://www.civilwarphotos.net/ Click "Medical and Hospitals", image 602.
        Thanks, Mel

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

Comment

Nice work on this picture....

Brent Brumagin
          Brent Brumagin

Comment

Sir and Ma'am, going through older threads I found this image has been brought out before by Mark Jaeger. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...&postcount=501
            I apologize for the repetition.
            In the "Cooks in the kitchen at soldiers rest" image, the large tank in front of the ovens main chimney, my question is, water heater or what? Also, any thoughts on the "hose" from gas line in the "Ward K" image.
            I'll be looking to the army use of gas and or production for lighting on post hospitals, kitchen, etc.

Thanks.
            Last edited by yeoman; 02-05-2009, 02:42 PM. Reason: URL

CWPT
            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

Comment

In the Ward K image the hose appears to connect to a table top gas stove for heating water. You can see it on the table as well as a tea-pot below it. The hose connection to a ceiling or wall gas light was a typical way to connect table top gas lamps as well.

The tank above the stove appears to me to be a water heater. I doubt that anyone in their right mind would install a gas generator above a wood stove!!
              T. N. Harrington
              Traveling Photographic Artist
              Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
              Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by minieball View Post
                In the Ward K image the hose appears to connect to a table top gas stove for heating water. You can see it on the table as well as a tea-pot below it. The hose connection to a ceiling or wall gas light was a typical way to connect table top gas lamps as well.

The tank above the stove appears to me to be a water heater. I doubt that anyone in their right mind would install a gas generator above a wood stove!!
                I would agree with these observbations. The tank in the first image also appears to be connected to the roof and may be a resevoir for collecting rain water, a common 19th century form of running water by simple gravity. The hose in the second image is a very common method of running gas to a table top lamp.
                Scott Cross
                "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                X