Indiana Veteran Volunteer "Zouave" Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Veteran Volunteer "Zouave" Image

A little something different for your enjoyment--an original image of a Civil War Federal Zouave. The uniform is identical to those issued to "Veteranized" Indiana regiments from '63 and '64.

Have a great Thanksgiving,

Jim Page
    Attached Files
    Jim Page

"Boys, Follow Me!"--Colonel William Bowen Campbell
    1st Regiment of Tennesse Volunteers (1846-1847)

"Weeping in solitude for the fallen brave is better than the presence of men too timid to strike for their country"--Motto embroidered on the flag of the 1st Regiment of Tennessee Volunteers and presented by the Nashville Female Academy (June, 1846).

Re: Indiana Veteran Volunteer "Zouave" Image

Do you know which regiment he fought in?
    Mike Hoover

1st Tennessee Infantry Co. D

Comment

James,

If this image is in your possesion.. do you mind producing a larger copy for our viewing? My mess is researching the 12th Indiana and we think this guy may be a point of reference. Would you let me know where I can find this CDV if not in your collection or saved to a file other than the one posted?

Thanks,
      Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
      Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
      ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
      ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
      ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
      ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
      ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Gents,

By far, one of the best zouave researchers is (hands down) Shaun Grenan. Shaun has complied a database of most American and French zouave units. Here's the link from the online Zouave Database:

Shaun can also be found on the Forum (zouavecampaigner).

I just remembered that I had a couple 12th Indiana Veteran Volunteer Infantry files saved on my comp from... eBay, I think?

Appréciez!
        Attached Files
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Jason and others
          Thanks so much for posting these images....they are very helpful in our research! I have been in contact with Shaun and have been using his website for reference.

The sad thing is there isnt much uniform reference past Resaca, Ga. not even in their book that was published in 1866(fresh on the mind writing)

Trying to prove or see what they were wearing past Resaca, Ga in 64' so any help would be greatly appreciated.
          Please contact me at my email or pm me here in the forum kaelin.vernon@gmail.com

Respectfully
          Kaelin R. Vernon
          SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Jason, thats a good image. I think if nothing else this proves they were wearing civilian hats not forage caps like one source claimed they did. They seem like they are proud of their uniforms, I would assume most wore them the rest of the war.
            Mike Hoover

Comment

Mike,

Actually, Sgt. John Shultz of the 12th Indiana wrote, "Our jackets have arrived . The boys pronounce them a Grand Bore for they are not worth half the price 6.25 and are more style and show than worth."

Lt. Col. James Goodenow published a circular stating that "commanders of companies will see that the New Uniform[s]recently issued to the men of this Regiment are not to be disposed of under any circumstances whatever. The different companies will be made acquainted with the purport of this order at the first subsequent roll call after which any violations will be reported to headquarters."

Therefore, it seems as they may not have been as popular as one might assume...

References found in Don Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
              [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

That sucks they were forced to wear them. It seemed to me most men in the unit didn't get their picture taken until they received them. I haven't found any pre-zouave jackets images of the 12th yet so I assumed they liked the jacket. That is a helpful quote.
                Mike Hoover

Comment

Thank you Jason! It just hit Chris and I last night that the veteran vol. chevrons are going to tell us when those jackets were issued, and therefore whether or not those jackets were issued post-Resaca. If we can find out when the 12th IN got veteran-ized then we can tell when those jackets were issued.

Now, they were an April '61 regiment which means it could have been before Resaca, but those veteran furloughs don't really start coming in for units until the summer of '64, June, July, August. Because those are new coats in that group photo we can assume that they were acquired during that re-organization where they picked up that stripe. Long story short: if that is a late summer image (like I'm beginning to think it has to be) then we'll see those in November.
                  [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
                  [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                  [/FONT]

Comment

Rather than start a new thread, I'll resurrect this one to share this Indiana image currently on eBay:
                    Scott Cross
                    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Here's anotherone that just came up on eBay:
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Hallo!

Creepy...

I have the visual impression of a Photoshopped head on a different undersize body.

:)

Curt
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                        X