VA Militia Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VA Militia Pics

Does anyone have any information on the 94th Virginia Militia? I've contacted Virginia Tech about the Nelson Preston Letter but I haven't gotten a response yet. Apparently, this pre-war existing unit had some members that joined into the 21st Batallion of VA Infantry and they were consolidated with the 29th Batallion to form the 64th Virginia Infantry. I'm interested particularly int he 94th militia uniforms and muster rolls as I am wanting to determine how many of the orginal 94th make it to the 64th and surrender in 65. Futherstill, I'd like to be able to search to see which members of the orginial 94th are captured at Cumberland Gap and sent to Fort Douglas. Any info that would aid my research would be very helpful.
    Last edited by lukegilly13; 05-01-2009, 09:49 AM.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Another book that may be of interest is
      Virginia Militaria of the Civil War written by Howard Crouch. The publisher is SCS Publications the ISBN is 0-9613581-2-2.
      There are lots of photos on all topics of Militaria.
      Chris Fisher
      [COLOR="Blue"][I]GGGS Pvt Lewis Davenport
      1st NY Mounted Rifles
      Enlisted Jan 1864 Discharged Nov 1865[/I][/COLOR]
      [I][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Member Co[COLOR="DarkGreen"][/COLOR]mpany of Military Historians[/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Is there an adjustable chin strap on those hats? Sometimes I look and think yes...other times I think no.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

‘It's likely a studio prop.”

Not necessarily (I’m assuming here that you’re expressing the general mantra rather than specific knowledge of the unit). From THE PRIVATIONS OF A PRIVATE by Marcus Toney, 1st TN, Co. “B”, Rock City Guards, talking about his early war experience at Cheat Mountain:

“This was our first march fully equipped. Besides our gun, knapsack, haversack, and cartridge box, nearly all our boys had on one side a six-shooter Colt’s revolver buckled around them, and on the other side was a large Damascus blade (made at a blacksmith’s shop)………….”

[there’s then a photo of Private Henry H. Cook, 1st TN, Co. “D”, Williamson Grays to illustrate normal equipage, Mr. Cook is likewise wearing his revolver pointing at a dangerous area]

“…..….After we had trudged along some five miles in a sweltering August sun, I tried to give my six-shooter away, but could not find any one to accept it, and over in the bushes I threw it. I then unbuckled my Damascus blade, made an offer of that, but was likewise refused, and it was thrown into the bushes. I then tried to give away a blanket, but no one would accept, so away it went. I thought, probably, the war would end before the winter. “
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Another early war Va Volunteer pic.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

A note on Pittsylvania: Pittsylvania is a small hamlet in Halifax County, VA...which lays South West of Richmond City.

Interesting. Where did you find this?

I haven't meddled in Old Dominion politics since the early 1960s :) but I'd be interested in knowing if there was a town by that name (perhaps prior to 1777?) and where it was located. The only "Pittsylvania" in VA that I am aware of is the county.
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Bob,

Great pic!!! Where did you find the designation for the 38th VA??

I'm making an assumption, that the "CR" insignia on their caps, denotes them as members of "The Cascade Rifles" which would eventually become Co. K of the 38th??

From A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations 1861-1865. Wallace Jr., Lee. 1986:

Co. K Cascade Rifles; organized and mustered into State service April 24th, 1861, evidently from 42nd Regt. Va. Mil.; enlisted June 2, 1861 for one year; mustered into C.S. Service June 3, 1861; reorganization date unknown. Captains; George K. Griggs (formerly of 42nd Regt. Va. Mil.), William G. Cabaniss.
                Paul B.
                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                (Loblolly Mess)
                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by john duffer View Post
                  ‘It's likely a studio prop.”

Not necessarily (I’m assuming here that you’re expressing the general mantra rather than specific knowledge of the unit). From THE PRIVATIONS OF A PRIVATE by Marcus Toney, 1st TN, Co. “B”, Rock City Guards, talking about his early war experience at Cheat Mountain:

“This was our first march fully equipped. Besides our gun, knapsack, haversack, and cartridge box, nearly all our boys had on one side a six-shooter Colt’s revolver buckled around them, and on the other side was a large Damascus blade (made at a blacksmith’s shop)………….”

[there’s then a photo of Private Henry H. Cook, 1st TN, Co. “D”, Williamson Grays to illustrate normal equipage, Mr. Cook is likewise wearing his revolver pointing at a dangerous area]

“…..….After we had trudged along some five miles in a sweltering August sun, I tried to give my six-shooter away, but could not find any one to accept it, and over in the bushes I threw it. I then unbuckled my Damascus blade, made an offer of that, but was likewise refused, and it was thrown into the bushes. I then tried to give away a blanket, but no one would accept, so away it went. I thought, probably, the war would end before the winter. “

I agree that its quite possible that the pistols are not props either. Photographs where "prop" pistols appear tend to show a revolver awkwardly jammed in the belt, waistband, or in the hand. These fellows are wearing holstered guns that seem "organic" to their kit (until tossed into the bushes later on :wink_smil ). One of them appears to be an 1849 Pocket Model Colt, which was Colt's most produced and top selling percussion revolver.

-Sam Dolan
                  Samuel K. Dolan
                  1st Texas Infantry
                  SUVCW

Comment

Working...
                  X