Trying to locate a photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to locate a photo

There's a photo from the "fall of Petersburg" series that I couldn't locate on the LoC or NA sites. I know it must be there, however. It shows about a half-dozen Union soldiers standing on or around a large artillery piece or wagon, all in profile, looking at something off camera (perhaps toward Richmond?). There's an oddly symbolic feel to the image and hopefully some of you have seen it before. Thanks.
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Re: Trying to locate a photo

Will,

I looked through a book called, "Grant and Lee: The Virginia Cmapaigns of 1864-1865" by William A. Frassanito. It essentially is a study of the photographs taken during this time period, with matching modern (1983) shots of the same locations. There are several phots that match your description, but it's hard to say if any are the one you're looking for. Some of the photos included are from the Mass. MOLLUS collection; I don't know if these are available online. Try to get ahold of the book, it may narrow your search down.

-Kyle M. Stetz
    Respectfully,
    -Kyle M. Stetz
    Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Kyle, I've seen Frassanito's book and I love it. I don't think "my" photo is in there because if I recall correctly the terrain isn't visible enough to locate the scene on the battlefield. It isn't on the LoC's Selected CW Photographs site so one of these days I'll assign myself the agreeable task of combing through the NA website again. As the Japanese commandant says in Bridge on the River Kwai: "Be happy in your work."
      Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Well, the only thing to me on the LOC that springs to mind that sort of fits your description is LC-B811- 3205[P&P], "Petersburg, Va. Federal soldiers removing artillery from Confederate fortifications," which I've detached below. There are a few other images of soldiers standing atop the parapets, either looking directly into the camera, or, in one case, acting silly by propping their caps on sticks, waving them, holding axes, and one fellow who looks like he's about to prime his rifle.

Where did you first see the image? Are you sure it's Petersburg?

Cheers!
        Attached Files
        Jason R. Wickersty
        http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
        Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
        Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
        Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
        Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Jason, I've always assumed it was taken at Petersburg because it greatly resembles the other shots of Federals "hanging out" in the captured works. But I shall have to rethink that assumption now. I've only seen it in books a few times but it's "stayed" with me, to use a hackneyed phrase. I remember the fascinating discussion a few years ago on the photo you've posted, and it definitely shares some similarities to "my" picture.
          Will Hickox

Comment

Here's another one that meets your description. Maybe this?

LC-B811- 3638[P&P], "Atlanta, Georgia. Sherman's men in Confederate fort."
            Attached Files
            Jason R. Wickersty
            http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
            Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
            Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
            Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
            Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

At long last!

Found it on the third sweep through the LoC site. The caption is: "Richmond, Va. Crippled locomotive, Richmond & Petersburg Railroad depot." Thanks for your help fellas.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by FortyRounder; 02-09-2009, 11:04 PM.
              Will Hickox

Comment

Working...
              X