60th New York, 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60th New York, 1862

Could one of you fine gentleman with high-res capabilities post some blown-up shots of this image so we can see what the guys in the back are wearing:

Thanks a lot.
    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Re: 60th New York, 1862

I know you asked for a "fine gentleman," but you'll have to settle for me.
    Attached Files
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Much appreciated. Among the men in the background (who I'm assuming are enlisted), of those whose headgear is discernable, I count 24 wearing caps and 10 in hats.
      Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

According to the regimental history written during the war many of these officers lost their possessions not long afterwards when their baggage was captured or burned as Confederate forces converged in that part of Virginia during the Cedar Mountain and Second Bull Run campaigns. The men of the 60th NY were a pretty sickly bunch at this time with typhus rampant, which was one of the reasons they were ordered to go into camp at White Sulpher Springs.

Some pretty interesting hats in that crowd. One should note the use of at least one belt (just to the left of the officers) and the nice suspenders in the other enlargement on the men seated to the right of them. There is a mix of issued and privately acquired shirts. Also interesting is the documentation of sack coats, as I have been told this regiment was initially issued NYS jackets. BTW, I'm glad that during the Civil War soldiers always wore their coats outdoors and buttoned them just so.

Note also the sentry under the right side of the columned structure. Is he at support arms?
        Last edited by styler; 02-26-2009, 10:07 PM. Reason: called to supper, had to add some thoughts
        [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

Is it just me or is the guy who is in the second picture posted by Marc who is in the middle standing on the right of the guy drinking from his cup have his pant legs rolled up really high, or is he just basically wearing some sort of straps around his legs?
          Kenny Pavia
          24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by KPavia View Post
            Is it just me or is the guy who is in the second picture posted by Marc who is in the middle standing on the right of the guy drinking from his cup have his pant legs rolled up really high, or is he just basically wearing some sort of straps around his legs?
            I think he's pulled his pants up by turning them inside out and what you're seeing is the hem of the pants at different points up his legs. Guess it was hot and that was a cooler way to do it?

Karin Timour
            Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
            Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
            Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Working...
            X