original hand made bed cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• original hand made bed cover

When I was a small boy, my sister and I would spend weekends with our great grandmother. She lived in a very old home built in the late 1790s or early 1800s. The last part of the house was added in 1918. My great grandmother had stroke in 1979 and the home was left unlived in while she was placed in a locale nursing home until she passed away in 1987. It was strange to walk the house and see the furniture and all in place, even the green Coke bottles iun the Kitchen.Then in 2007 the home had to be torn down because of its condition and the fact that snakes and every other animal was calling it a home.
    My father and a friend walked around in the house to see what could be saved. Upon entering the stairs that lead to the attic was a small dark tight space hidden behind old clothing on hangers. As we dug into the surroundings, anold humped back steamer trunk. The trunk even had the leater straps and side handles. Inside was 3 hand sewn bed covers. All had minor nawlings from mice and a snake shed! My father said he was all most certain that they were made by My great grandmother's mother. When my great grandmother passed away in 1987 she was 96. I ended up with the bed spreads and my friend was given the trunk!It is still at the foot of my buddies bed and his wife won't part with it!
    Any way I only used the bedspread for display purposes on my knapsack because I know it is old. Can anyone tell me what you think of it. I could not believe how much work went into it.

Thanks for reminising with me.

Brent Conner

Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
    Benjamin Franklin
Working...
X