Shorpy's originals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorpy's originals

The best thing about Shorpy's is that you may blow them up for study.

U.S. Engineer Drama Club

Band of brothers 1865

Company B, U.S. Engineers

One we've all seen, "Scouts and Guides"

Nashville '64
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Re: Shorpy's originals

The "band of brothers" image had the biggest hodge podge of caps and hats. Check out the fur pile cap, two "straight out of sutler row" forage caps (one complete with the baseball cap rolled visor), a kepi, slouch, a late war McDowell brimmed cap, a painted cover, etc, etc, etc.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Sir, great group images. Funny, but it seems some of their faces I can recognize as friends or people I've met or known. Using 600% zoom on "Nashville '64" image I'm looking at the men in the checked pants at right and the gent sitting. Does his cuffs look to be pinned or buttoned up? What do you reckon the slab material is being used for?
      Thanks for posting these images.
      Last edited by yeoman; 03-13-2009, 06:50 PM. Reason: after thought
      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Notice in the Drama Club photo (1864), two (presumably) enlisted men are wearing dark blue pants. Thanks for sharing this... I'm going to add that to my study of Enlisted Feds wearing dark blues! ( http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/darkblues62.html )
        Paul Boccadoro
        Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Mel-I've often wondered exactly where the Nashville series of Photos was taken. Given that the area in view is all built up now it,s hard to figure out. However, other photos of the time show that construction was still taking place on the hill where the state capital building is and the slabs may be associated with that activity. At the right side of the photo a stone retaining wall capped with a earthen bank is visable that reminds me of the retaing wall around the capital building. In the left middle ground a train is visiable in the valley below which suggest the northside of the current I-40 Route for the location
          Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Wow... those are amazing. I love hi-def photos, I'll have to check out the rest of the site.
            Michael Ovsenik
            5th Texas Co E
            Medich's Battalion

Comment

Yes.. Mr. Hares.. I have seen it labeled as such. The camera seems to be facing pretty well west of town from 'Fort Johnson'/Capitol Hill and the retaining wall would be the southwest corner of the state houses perch. Clues to this would be the L&N/T&A Railroad and trestle that wrapped around the hill, the townhouses in full view and what is most likely Harding Pike in the distance. The Train Depot would be just out of sight to the left at the bottom of the hill.. and it's a wonder you can't make out Acklen's Belmont Mansion Complex in the distance.

Just ringing in. Others.. discuss?
              Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
              Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
              ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
              ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
              ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
              ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
              ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Hallo!

High resolution images are always a joy for the nuggets of trivia buried within them.

In the "Drama Club" Engineers, the front row seated lad second last on the viewer's left is wearing corporal stripes on his trousers but no chevrons on his blouse.
                The guy on the viewer's right, at the end, is wearing an Engineer's castle device in the middle of his blouse.

In the "Company B," the lad on the viewer's left appears to have crudely stitched his one trouser seam (I will enlarge that an dhave a closer look)(???). The lad with the pipe is wearing a waistbelt as a trouser belt.
                Slash pockets added to blouses.

And in "Scouts and Guides," the lad second last on the viewer's right has his vest misbuttoned.

Curt
                Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-13-2009, 06:48 PM.
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Gentleman/Ladies, Notice in one of the Engineer pics how one man on the right wears his branch insignia on the closier of his sack coat and also in the "scouts" photo,a great study of sack coats and hats. Clifford Earl Hyde

Comment

Originally posted by PieBoy96 View Post
                    Notice in the Drama Club photo (1864), two (presumably) enlisted men are wearing dark blue pants. Thanks for sharing this... I'm going to add that to my study of Enlisted Feds wearing dark blues! ( http://www.libertyrifles.org/research/darkblues62.html )
                    I'm having a tough time posting photos. On your dark blue trousers page the first Appomattox photo shows a guy in a porkpie hat. Can anyone make out the badge on his hat?
                    Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

In the Company B photo, it appears that some fellows are sporting a 'C' on their caps.
                      The fellow on our elft, sitting on the stump, only appears to have his brogans laced through the bottom lace hole as well.
                      Bryant Roberts
                      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
                        Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Is it a 24th Corps badge with something else over it?
                          Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Hallo!

I cannot enlarge it enough with the given resolution to really see what I think I am looking at.

I tend to see a XV (or XXV) corps badge on top of a wreath??

Dunno...

Curt
                            Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Working...
                            X