a request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a request

For a long time, probably since right before the war ended, Kentucky Federal soldiers have been largely forgotten. I consider it a shame that around 2/3rds of the CW veterams from this state largely go unrecognized, and virtually forgotten by most, even reenactors. It is my dream to someday build a web site that will be an image gallery in salute to these brave souls that helped preserve a Union that needed preserving. My request is if anyone has an IDed photograph of a Kentucky Union soldier of any rank and branch (and yes USCT uniots raised in this state will be included if any images are know to exist) if they would be so kind as to forward me a copy.

Thank you in advance for any assistance, if any.

Re: a request

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
    For a long time, probably since right before the war ended, Kentucky Federal soldiers have been largely forgotten. I consider it a shame that around 2/3rds of the CW veterams from this state largely go unrecognized, and virtually forgotten by most, even reenactors. It is my dream to someday build a web site that will be an image gallery in salute to these brave souls that helped preserve a Union that needed preserving. My request is if anyone has an IDed photograph of a Kentucky Union soldier of any rank and branch (and yes USCT uniots raised in this state will be included if any images are know to exist) if they would be so kind as to forward me a copy.

Thank you in advance for any assistance, if any.
    A start for USCT troops would be Camp Nelson in Nicholasville, KY. It was the 2nd/3rd largest USCT recruiting depot in the country. Go to www.CampNelson.org. I may be able to give you more information. Contact me at CPTFritz@aol.com.

Fritz Jacobs
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPTFritz@aol.com

Comment

Clark,

I have a number of original documents from Kentucky regiments if in the future you would be interested in copies of those. Mostly company records and such.

I have always thought this an unfortunate aspect of Kentucky's military history myself. I believe that it was Shelby Foote that said "Kentucky was the only state to join the Confederacy after the war.” I have to agree with him, as it seems today there are more per capita Confederate supporters in Kentucky than there were at the time of the war.
      Jim Kindred

Comment

Clark, I'm actually working on a very comprehensive resource website right now devoted to every Western federal unit that served during the war (an incredible sized project I know, but I'm going to take it over time). I'm currently looking for "ambassadors" persay for each state to compile information on that state's troops.

If you'd like more information, or would like to serve as Kentucky's "representative" on the board, let me know (chuck me a PM) and I'd be happy to fill you in!
        [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
        [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
        [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
        [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
        [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
        [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
        [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by ericburke
          Clark, I'm actually working on a very comprehensive resource website right now devoted to every Western federal unit that served during the war (an incredible sized project I know, but I'm going to take it over time). I'm currently looking for "ambassadors" persay for each state to compile information on that state's troops.

If you'd like more information, or would like to serve as Kentucky's "representative" on the board, let me know (chuck me a PM) and I'd be happy to fill you in!

Eric

Are you going to include California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington Territory, and Colorado Territory in this endevor?
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Like I said, its all on a gradient. Obviously trying to chronicle (in detail) the actions/experiences/accounts, etc. of every western Federal unit is close to an impossible task. Eventually I'll include every major state that participated in the Western theater of operations.

For example:

If you're talking about a Colorado unit that saw action in Missouri or Tennessee, then yes, they would be included. If you're talking about a Colorado unit that saw action at Gettysburg, no. They will not be included.

As I stated, I'm still looking for researchers/contributors interested in helping with the project.

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

Comment

What about a Colorado unit that saw action in New Mexico, or a California unit that saw action in Idaho?
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

The site isn't so much about the units themselves as it is about Western Federal soldiers in general. Its primary purpose is to provide a research portal for anyone and everyone insterested (not just reenactors) regarding schoarly-level research and information about the Federal soldiers of the Western Theater of operations during the war. This includes everything from soldier life to military actions to Orders of Battle. Also included will be a forum for discussion of the same level as is expected here, but over topics more secluded to a single area (Western Federals).

I hope that's clear ... I'm not terribly good at explaning things.

Comment

Sooooo

If I got you right, you are not going to deal with the Trans Mississippi or units like the 14th Indiana or 8th Ohio (AotP), but rather the AotT and AotC and its soldiers and campaigns. Right? You want info on units like the 123rd NY 20th CT or the 101st Indiana, correct?
                  Robert Johnson

Comment

Yeah exactly! Though in the future, I'll might very well incorporate TransMiss stuff with the group. One step at a time.

Comment

I need to find it, but I did a ton of research on the 5th and 20th CT a few years ago. I will send you any info I have, but I have no idea what has happened to it after 5 moves and two countries.
                      Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X