Grizzly Relic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly Relic

(Mods,if this is in the wrong folder,please move it to the right one).
    Folks,
    I was just on Hertiage Auctions when I found possibly the most grizzly relic I have seen.Just read the inscription on the medallion and you will see why I say this.I am really curious as to what others think of this.I think that this guy was a little,just a bit,on the far side.
    (June 15th,1862 is the date).
    Attached Files
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Re: Grizzly Relic

Wow, pretty interesting. You can tell he probably wasn't an amputee, from the decent shape of the bullet. Dressed that up nicely, didn't he?

I always thought the Ellsworth coat was a pretty gruesome relic. Has anybody ever seen Gen. Sickles' leg?
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Nothing wrong with that.

One of my friends has a piece of schrapnel that came out of his buttocks in a little glass case on his mantle. Quite the conversation piece.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hmmm. I will admit it is a little morbid in terms of wardrobe. However, it is intersting item to have.
        Jill A. Pierson
        [email]Chesnutmor@aol.com[/email] and [email]jillpierson@yahoo.com[/email]
        "....It is history that teaches us to hope."
        Robert E. Lee

Comment

That is too cool!
          Frank Perkin

Comment

Must've been a soft tissue hit that missed bones as well as other important internal organs. The bullet looks pristine, almost undamaged.

Comment

You folks might be onto something. Wonder if this could have dinged him in the buttocks as he was "advancing to the rear"? :D
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

That is rather interesting. Anything you can walk away from in one piece and still functioning is always worthy of rememberance though. A friend of mine was shot in the line of duty by an extremely disturbed man with a 30-06. He was hit just above the hip in the front, the bullet went through his vest, through his body and exited through his buttocks in a fairly strait, through and through manner. He tried his best to get the rifle that the guy shot him with. Unfortunately they would not allow him to purchase it because of state laws here in Arkansas. As the weapon was used in a violent crime it was to be destroyed. I always thought they should have let him have it and told everyone they destroyed it.
                Matthew S. Laird
                [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                [/COLOR]
                [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

While i don't think this relic is all that "grizzly" I do think its mighty interesting remembrance from a soldier. Over the years I've seen quite a few bullets soldiers saved as a souvenir when they where wounded. I've also seen bullets that where sent home to the family of the soldier killed in action and read accounts of this as well. If you really want to see some morbid relics look at some of the stuff GI's brought home from the pacific during world war two, everything from skulls to gold teeth. A friend of mine even had a Japanese rifle covered in shrapnel damage he got from a marine vet with a piece of the Japanese soldier ID disc embedded in the stock.

Regards,
                  -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                  93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                  [I]
                  "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                  [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

I can agree with Seth on the heads of Japanese. My friends great grandpa always told his dad when he was young he had heads of Japanese soldiers in his refridgerator... probably to keep him out of his beer.
                    Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
                    Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                    Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
                    Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
                    Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
                    Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't know if you can call it morbid, I would have to classify this under LUCKY!
                      Jordan Ricketts

Comment

Couple quick stories...this type of 'relic' is probably more common than you think...

At the Battle of New Market, May 15th 1864; Cadet Francis L. Smith had an enemy .58 cal bullet pierce through his jaw and lodge into his right collar bone...following the battle Smith had the bullet fashioned into a watch fop shaped like an acorn...this piece is now on display at New Market Battlefield State Historic Park, Hall of Valor.

George Smith Patton (grandfather WWII Gen. George Patton) was killed at the 3rd Battle of Winchester, September 19 1864, when a Federal Shell fragment pieced his lower right back. Naturally Patton's men, knew they would have to send something home to his now widowed wife....so when the surgeon removed the shell fragment, they cleaned and set this aside...then cutting off the shirt tail of the shirt Patton was wearing when killed, wrapped the shell fragment and sent this home to Patton's wife...these pieces are now on display at the VMI Museum, Lexington VA.

Paul B.
                        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                        (Loblolly Mess)
                        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Grizzliest souvenir I've run across in an antique store was a German helmet (it's been several years, but I believe WWI) that had a wee little hole in the front of the helmet and very, very large opening in a straight line to the rear of the helmet. Call it a one owner model, and it didn't do him any good.
                          Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Hallo!

WWI helmets are tricky.

There are those that may be battle damaged, and there are more that were used as targets after the surrender either out of boredom or Allied curiosity as to whether they could punch a hole in and out and at what distance.
                            But, there are collectors that collect just "shot up" helmets.

(Remember helmets were ultimately designed to prevent shrapnel, stone, and maybe wood injuries to the head, not necessarily stop small arms fire ;) )

When I think of "grizzly..." while we do not know when the bayonet was put through it, but there used to be or still is the skeletal foot in the shoe in the Fredericksburg visitor center.

Curt

(Who has a WWI cigarette tin with a grenade fragment that a note from a WWI German soldier about the specifics of where he "got it" and where and when it was removed form his behind.)
                            Curt Schmidt
                            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                            -Vastly Ignorant
                            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I've seen a human skull on display at a creepy junk store in Ohio. It had the words "Old Hun" painted on it and the owner of the shop said his grand father sent it home as a joke during WWI. Could have been a fake but it looked legit; still had bits of dry flesh and hair on it. Now THIS is a morbid relic.

I haven't seen many bullets or shrapnel that Civil War soldiers retained, except for maybe two examples. A Michigan sharpshooter in the 1st U.S.S.S. was struck in the leg at 2nd Bull Run and kept the shell fuse around his neck for years; this same man lost his arm in Nov. 1863 and kept the bullet. The other example I believe is in Troiani's collection; I think it's a bullet that struck a zouave at Antietam. This latter example is part an impressive larger grouping including the man's uniform, etc..
                              Brian White
                              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                              X