Discussion on symbolisim in Lincoln painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion on symbolisim in Lincoln painting

This is a new painting to me. I had not seen this before today and found the image very interesting. A history lesson of sort.

I could not get the file to upload, so I posted the link.

President Lincoln, writing the Proclamation of Freedom. January 1st, 1863

painted by David Gilmour Blythe

Symbols in print:
    Free Masonry
    Odd Fellows
    Left shoe off
    James Buchanan hanged
    Andrew Jackson looking upon Lincoln
    International Law
    Helper Uncle Tom
    Railsplitter maul
    The scales of liberty unbalanced
    Wendel Phillips
    and much more

Any thoughts...

Cheers
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Re: Discussion on symbolisim in Lincoln painting

Geez. This artist may have been painting whilst a guest of the County Home for the Truly Odd. Any answers to the question are likely going to reveal more about the writer than Old Abe. I can say this: apparently Mary Todd wasn't a compulsive house keeper. And for goodness sake, don't loiter under that marble bust....
    David Fox

Comment

Left hand resting on the Holy Bible.

Doesn't one do that when taking the oath?

Sure there's something about the flag being used as a curtain.

Dunno,
      John Pillers
      Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

I also like the way the bible rests on the constitution and not the constitution resting on the bible as if to show that lincoln placed the bible (morals) above the constitution (legalities) while writing the emancipation proclamation. Anyone else notice that he has one shoe on and one shoe off? I may be looking too much into the painting but I believe both feet are painted as "right feet" as well. Finally...those $500/credit hour liberal arts classes I had to take in college are actually being used for something lol!
        Last edited by lukegilly13; 06-10-2009, 10:15 PM.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

The painting strikes me as similiar, and perhaps a response, to John Volck's satirical cartoon showing a drunk/demonically possessed Lincoln writing the Proclamation. In that image, John Brown's portrait is on the wall appearing as if a saint, as well as a painting of a slave uprising. Lincoln's foot is on either the Bible or the Constitution, Liberty is shrouded, and there are demons/icons of demons around the room.

Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
          My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I've looked at this painting a number of times. It is certainly full of symbols. Kind of like playing Where's Waldo and I Spy at the same time when looking for stuff.

I may be wrong but I think Volck's print was more in response to this. Either way, it is very interesting to compare the two.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

I personally liked how the artists used war implements to represent the might of the Federal Army & Navy holding two foes at bay: the cannon ramrod lies on top of the "Map of Rebel States" and the saber hangs across the map of Europe, perhaps a representation of French & British designs on the Western Hemisphere.

Plus, the Jackson quote hanging below the bust of Jackson was appropriate as was the Daniel Webster reference with the "Webster on the Constitution" volume at Lincoln's feet. Note that a volume with Calhoun's name lies unopened with no other title other than "Calhoun." Perhaps the name spoke for itself! What surprised me was the absence of anything referring to Henry Clay; Lincoln was quite the admirer of Clay's approach during Lincoln's years as a young, up-and-coming pol. Perhaps I missed this?

All in all, a great image to discuss.

John
              John McPherson
              Member, "The Lost Towney" Mess
              Co. A, Fourth U.S. Inf'y & Co. K, 1st Washington Territory Vols.
              Fort Steilacoom, Washington Territory

Comment

Yes Luke, I'd definitely say that both of Abe's feet are right feet. I'm sure it's saying something more complex than "he always got off on the right foot".

D.W. Scalf
                D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                George Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by John McPherson View Post
                  I personally liked how the artists used war implements to represent the might of the Federal Army & Navy holding two foes at bay: the cannon ramrod lies on top of the "Map of Rebel States" and the saber hangs across the map of Europe, perhaps a representation of French & British designs on the Western Hemisphere.

Plus, the Jackson quote hanging below the bust of Jackson was appropriate as was the Daniel Webster reference with the "Webster on the Constitution" volume at Lincoln's feet. Note that a volume with Calhoun's name lies unopened with no other title other than "Calhoun." Perhaps the name spoke for itself! What surprised me was the absence of anything referring to Henry Clay; Lincoln was quite the admirer of Clay's approach during Lincoln's years as a young, up-and-coming pol. Perhaps I missed this?

All in all, a great image to discuss.

John
                  a text inscribed Life of Clay is next to his foot without the slipper

It is also interesting to note that a slip of paper rests in an out of the fireplace with the name of Wendel Phillips on it. Wendell Phillips was an abolitionist who was a thorn in Lincolns side. In the Civil War he attacked Lincoln for his moderate stand on emancipation of the slaves and opposed Lincoln's renomination.

He worked closely with his friend, the abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison. Phillips contributed to the anti-slavery campaign by writing pamphlets and editorials in Garrison's newspaper, The Liberator. Both Phillips and Garrison denounced the Constitution because it upheld slavery. Phillips went a step further and recommended that the South should be expelled from the Union until slavery was abolished. After the Emancipation Proclamation, Phillips worked to better the lives of the newly freed men and women.
                  Source: McKissack, Patricia and Fredrick McKissack. Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman?
                  Last edited by PetePaolillo; 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM. Reason: added source
                  [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                  ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Notice a few of the names on Papers in the image:

Lord Lyons:
                    Richard Bickerton Pemell Lyons, British envoy to the US 1858-1865. Helped to diffuse the Trent Affair in 1861, which nearly saw the US and the UK at war. He asked General Lee ,after Lee's victory at Washington City, "What kind of nation would the Confederate States be?"

John Morgan.
                    I am guessing John Hunt Morgan, penetrated the North farther than any other uniformed confederate troops

Wendell Phillips. Abolitionist, advocate for Native Americans. Phillips said that racial injustice was the source of all of society's ills.

John B. Floyd.
                    Sec of War under Buchanan. He was accused of sending arms to Federal arsenals before the war in anticipation of the war. Floyd was commissioned Maj Gen in Virginia's provisional army. He escaped Ft Donelson by steamboat, fearing capture. I am unsure of the exchange as he was never captured. Symbolism with in symbolism?
                    Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

found another interesting notation on the large text near Abe Lincolns trunk entitled "protest from army of potomac against guarding property of traitors"In Billings Hardtack and Coffee, He discusses the Motto " Property Guarded" taken by the members of the 2nd Massachusetts regiment when they felt the need to protest the injustice of guarding the slaves (Contraband) of Southern Masters in an attempt to return them to there owners during the early months of the war.
                      There are hundreds of talking points that can be spawned off of this painting. Great thread.
                      Last edited by PetePaolillo; 06-18-2009, 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling
                      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I checked into the "two right feet" thing to see if I could find something. Here's what I have turned up:
                        The S. Stephen's Church

"S. Stephen’s parish was established in 1839; and from 1840 the congregation occupied a church—now the Barker Playhouse—located at Benefit and Transit Streets. As the parish grew during the 1850s, it experienced the need for a larger and more centrally located church building; and in 1860 it purchased a lot on George Street for this purpose.

The parish engaged architect Richard Upjohn (1802-1878), one of the pioneers of the gothic revival in the United States, who provided a design in the Middle Pointed or Decorated style. The cornerstone was laid on Saint Matthew’s Day, September 21, 1860. The completed building was consecrated on Thursday, February 27, 1862, during a swirling snowstorm."

Apparently, in the North Isle, there is a stained glass window known as the The Ormsbee Window. This window is next to the window created in remembrance of Robert Hale Ives, Jr. killed at Antietam. In The Ormsbee Window there is a image in which Christ is placing the crown of life on a young woman with two right feet.

Don't know if it's the same but the painting could be saying that Lincoln had been given the crown of life in some way symbolic of Godly power to save the union?
                        Luke Gilly
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I found 8 Masonic Symbols.

Comment

Dale,
                            It is interesting that there are so many Masonic symbols, yet Lincoln was not a brother. He was, however, very influenced by Masonry and in fact said so.
                            Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                            ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Greg,

Why do you think our Temple overlooks Washington DC?

BTW, how many symbols have you found, lets compare notes on PM?

Comment

Working...
                              X