hunting with a hall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hunting with a hall?

All found this image on Cowan today. Couldnt ID the firearm for the man in the back however it kinda of struck me as a Hall. Thoughts? On an aside I also enjoy their traps and it makes for an interesting facial/hair reference as well.
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Re: hunting with a hall?

Cool Picture,
    It looked like a Hall to me too. Perhaps these men are militia or volunteers. I liked the strap the guy on the right has. What is that sitting on his lap?

Regards,
    Garrett Glover
    Garrett Glover

Comment

By golly, that is a Hall alright. And I like his tarred hat too.

Is the furry thing on the fella's lap the day's kill, or it looks like it could be part of his possibles bag.

-Sam Dolan
      Samuel K. Dolan
      1st Texas Infantry
      SUVCW

Comment

Originally posted by guad42 View Post
        Is the furry thing on the fella's lap the day's kill, or it looks like it could be part of his possibles bag.
        It's proably his possibles bag, or a prop. I don't think skunks eat very well. The two guys that are sitting are wearing pinkey rings.

Regards,
        Garrett Glover
        Garrett Glover

Comment

IIRC-most of the Halls were sold as surplus some years before the war for use in the civilian market and then repurchased at the start(for a nice profit). Because of their odd mechanics they failed to find a popular market. I'd say this boy probably was one of the few who made a private purchase before the war.
          Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

The fellow in the rear is indeed sporting a Hall Carbine. Note the long sling ring bar and ring on the side. I use an original when I teach at the National Infantry Museum (last time, last Wednesday) at Fort Benning. A good weapon if the obturation is not ruined by a worn breech face. If they were such a bad weapon, why do you think they made so many for so long?

Dave Stieghan
            aka, dbar1918
            David Stieghan
            aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
            Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
            Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

Working...
            X