86 Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 Ohio Volunteer Infantry

I have kicked this image around with several of my pards for awhile and we haven't turned anything up but speculation. I searched the LOC and a couple of CW image books and cannot find similar coats. Can anyone help me identify these coats (except for the man at the right who appears to be wearing a common fatigue blouse)? The image is taken from the 86th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regimental History and was snapped on their way home from a garrison at Cumberland Gap in January of '64...they were musted out back home on February 10. Interesting aspects to me are the light color of the jackets and the short collars.
    Attached Files
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: 86 Ohio Volunteer Infantry

I cannot enlarge the image enough to really see it well, but I would speculate some of the boys were in the Veteran Reserve Corps when the photo was made.
    S.Sullivan

Comment

I thought the same thing, however, the veterans reserve jackets that I have seen have eppauletts and these do not seem to have them. Also, the collars are VERY short on these jackets and the VR jackets have higher ones. Both of these things made me doubtful...but you may be right!
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

That's a cool photo. I like the 9 button (state, MSJ, infantry?) jacket with the pocket. Just goes to show, when you think you know what uniforms look like--you don't.

I think they're VRC jackets. True, no epaulets, but I think I see chevron cuffs. Again, you can make no absolute statements about uniforming. Show that to Chris Daley, he might have some insight. Great pic.
        Bob Muehleisen
        Furious Five
        Cin, O.

Comment

The men with the light colored jackets don't appear to have been in the VRC at any point, if the records on the Civil War Research Database are correct. The jackets don't really even look like proper VRC jackets, in my opinion.

The 86th Ohio was organized on July 14th, 1863, as a 6-month regiment. The only actions it took part in were the pursuit of John Hunt Morgan and the expedition to capture Cumberland Gap. After the CS forces there surrendered, the 86th remained there on guard until returned to Camp Cleveland to muster out. Here are the records for the men in the photograph:

Nelson J. Ashburn, no residence listed, 25 yrs. old. Enlisted on 6/16/1863 as a Private. On 7/28/1863 he mustered into Co. A, 86th Ohio Infantry. Mustered out on 2/10/1864 at Camp Cleveland, OH.

William D. Courtney, no residence listed, 17 yrs. old. Enlisted on 6/16/1863 as a Musician. On 7/28/63 he mustered into Co. A, 86th Ohio Infantry. Mustered out on 2/10/1864 at Camp Cleveland, OH.

Samuel Holland, no residence listed, 19 yrs. old. Enlisted on 6/16/1863 as a Private. On 7/28/1863 he mustered into Co. A, 86th Ohio Infantry. Mustered out on 2/10/1864 at Camp Cleveland, OH. Promoted Corporal 1/8/64.

Loverain Packard, no residence listed, 18 years old. Enlisted on 6/16/1863 as a Private. On 7/28/1863 he mustered into Co. A, 86th Ohio Infantry. Mustered out on 2/10/1864 at Camp Cleveland, OH.

Josiah L. Zimmerman, no residence listed, 18 yrs. old. Enlisted on 6/16/1863 as a Private. On 7/28/1863 he mustered into Co. A, 86th Ohio Infantry. Mustered out on 2/10/1864 at Camp Cleveland, OH. Promoted to Sergeant (date unknown), 1st Sergeant 12/16/63.

At the Ohio Civil War Show a few months ago I saw an identified photo of a Kentuckian wearing what looked like a mixed gray knit JACKET. It looked a lot like the garments the three soldiers are wearing in that photo. The jacket was light in color, obviously rib-knit, without lining in the body (jacket corner was turned back over the man's leg) but appeared close-fitting in the waist and relatively large in the chest and arms. It looked like it was made similarly to a regular old jacket, except it had dark buttons and tape-bound edges. I cannot say if this particular knit jacket was an issued item but it had a lot of features in common with the early war NY militia knit sack coat, called an "Aspinwall" which were supplied by the state of NY and donated, depending upon the regiment.

While I'm going on about knit jackets, the QM Department noted that on July 1st, 1864, there were 8,870 knit uniform jackets on hand at the Louisville, KY depot, and another 3,985 on hand in Chicago. Apparently some early contracts called for brown and sky blue knit blouses and jackets; if these were issued or left to rot in a far-off clothing depot I do not know.
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Brian wins with research, the best way to win any contest.
            The records prove these men were not in the VRC, so that is out.
            One additional note.
            In my image collection I have a number of cdv's that show the VRC jacket had many variants, among them, no shoulder eps, high and low collars, and different types of braid trim.
            There was a "regulation" coat with polka skirts and all, but the boys being the boys, many a tailor toiled to work just outside of regulations toward the taste of the induividual.
            S. Sullivan

Comment

Here's an early war photo of my mother's grand uncle, Thomas Jefferson Poland, who served in the 87th and 88th Ohio Infantry regiments, apparently for short terms, before joining the cavalry.

Sorry I don't have any more details here at work, but his jacket/coat seems piped and a lighter color to me. Love the hat.

Cheers,
              Paul Hadley
              Attached Files
              Paul Hadley

Comment

There were definitely variants on the VRC jackets...my favorite is the one that is presumably still sitting unsold at the Horse Soldier.

Perhaps the jackets in the 86th OVI photo are some kind of private purchase military garment? I've seen some made from what looks like high-quality medium to sky blue wool broadcloth with unusual dark collars and front edges (imagine a jacket front facing sewn to the body on the outside of the jacket). Not sure what those would have been considered though.
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I hate to be unimaginative but I think it's just a lighting issue, myself.
                  Bob Williams
                  26th North Carolina Troops
                  Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                  X