Aerial photos of Sherman's March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial photos of Sherman's March

I heard through the grapevine that there are aerial photos taken of the march through Georgia taken aound the 1950's. Supposedly in the photos you can still see the route they took even in 1950s. Does anyone have any information on this?
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Marissa Glade[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][QUOTE]Abraham Lincoln once said that if you are a racist, I will attack you with the North. And those are the principles that I carry with me in the workplace. -Michael Scott[/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Re: Aerial photos of Sherman's March

Hope someone replies, I would love to see this too.
    Kevin Whitehead

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes, I'll have to wet my line on this one. Would this not be something to see. I found this site with Georgia Aerial Photographs. If I may, I lived in Atlanta from 2nd to 8th grade and lived on West Ontario, Beecher Circle and Pine Oak Drive. Pine Oak Dr. was just south of Westview Cemetery (1884, the land that would become the cemetery was the site of a portion of the Battle of Ezra Church). I crossed Utoy Creek to get to school (check out the Battle of Utoy Creek). My friends and I found many artifacts from the Battle of Atlanta during our round abouts. Seems half the time I went into the woods alone I felt as if I were stepping on someones grave. Ever had that feeling? While walking in the woods NE of Utoy Creek and S of the cemetery I got as scared as I have ever been. Nevertheless, parts of the Confederate lines later became part of the city parks. I used the 1938 aerial photo of SW Atlanta and brought up a current map to get my bearings. This is where I start to look for traces of the old lines and forts where I used to live and then , maybe.......

With a map of Sherman's March through Georgia a current map and the aerial photos there may be a trace of the desolation left in this army's wake.

The site is http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=gaph simply 1, search counties, 2 choose county, 3,choose index photograph. Hope this may help.
      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

This has been discussed in either Glathaar's book or Sherman's March in Myth and Memory, but the myth that 1950s aerial images still showed the route of the March to the Sea, or the "desolation" of the MTTS are just that, a myth. The last time I checked, Sherman's men did not drive bulldozers or other machinery of destruction through Georgia, nor did they wantonly consume the entire sixty mile wide route with fire from Atlanta to the sea. At most, individual chimneys or foundations might be left immediately after the troops departed, and you could argue that these remained present for a period of possibly a few years while the South was at financial odds following the war and Reeconstruction. As soon as people began to rebuild any potential ruins disappeared. Think about it...with problems of urban sprawl as well as the fact that if someone built a house at a location originally it stands that someone would want to build there again, there is no realistic expectation that physical mainfestations of the March could not survive. Much of this was dreamed up by a new generation of Lost Causers who wanted to find new reminders of "Yankee Evil" in their midst. I would include proper citation, but all of my materials are packed for a move this weekend.
        Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
        My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Sir, I read your post and it was considered. I do not believe anyone on this forum thinks Sherman's army "bulldozed" through Georgia. People who were there, on both sides, know what the effects of this movement through Georgia were. I used the word "desolation" correctly I believe and did not mean to use it in an insulting way. Lots has been written of this time in history.
          I passed on a site some may find interesting, I have.
          Sir, may I ask, what is the point of posting these words?

I'll quote, "Much of this was dreamed up by a new generation of Lost Causers who wanted to find new reminders of "Yankee Evil" in the midst".

Most respectfully,
          Mel Hadden
          Last edited by yeoman; 07-28-2009, 12:51 PM. Reason: delete a repeated word
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

The purpose of that line was to show that historiography is manipulated by every generation for its own means. Combined with the rise of the Civil Rights movement, as well as Federal infrastructure investment and development uprooting people again in the name of highway development, we must frankly face the fact that people in several Southern states felt that their local customs and social mores were challenged by forces beyond their control. It is but a very short step from those immediate challenges to claim new memories or representations of previous conflicts with Federal or outside power. The 1950s saw a new birth in the re-appropriation of Confederate symbology in order to challenge changing Federal laws that were deemed "intrusive" against local authority and power, and while I do not have documentation in front of me, when comparing the rise of new Confederate sympathy against one set of laws and acts, as I said, it's a small step to use these changes to reinvoke the symbolism of Sherman upon the landscape.

While I have no doubt that in many ways the psychological scars continued, and may well continue, to mark the collective psyche of those who experienced or are descended from those who experienced the trauma of an enemy army moving at will through their home area, the physical scars did not last until the twentieth century.
            Bob Welch

My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Kind of off topic but...
              Lest we forget that Joe Wheeler's boys did their share of plundring and mayhem during the march. Numerous letters to local papers exist in archives stating this. During the Atlanta Campaign the local citizens feared Joe Johnston's army as much as Sherman's.
              [FONT="Times New Roman"]
              [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
              106th Reg't PVI
              Co. G
              Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Yes sir, thanks for the reply.
                As far as your position, If I may, "the physical scars did not last until the twentieth century", seems like a limb hard to stand on. My 2 cents, I don't buy it. Thirty six years is not that long.

Respectfully,
                Mel Hadden
                Last edited by yeoman; 07-27-2009, 09:46 PM. Reason: After thought

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

Comment

Mr. Hadden-
                  I wish to thank you for pointing out an error in my last post. I meant to write "into" rather than "until": a single word changes the entire meaning of a sentence. I apologize if I wasn't clear earlier. What I was saying was that with my personal and professional research relating to the events surrounding the March to the Sea, I have found nothing to indicate the presence of the amount of damage required to leave a visual mark on the landscape ninety years after the event. I believe that we will respectfully have to agree to disagree.

Mr. Cass-
                  Your point is well made. In fact, I would venture to say that in some cases Wheeler's cavalrymen did more damage than Sherman's men.
                  Bob Welch

Comment

Aren't there existing "sherman bowties" in museums around the Atlanta area? I don't know if I remember actually seeing one when I was a child or remember seeing an exhibit about them.
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

From what I can find online, the Marietta Museum of History, and perhaps the Museum of the Confederacy have examples. I found these pictures:

Overzealous example in the MOC

Marietta Museum
                      Bob Welch

Comment

Yes Mr. Welch, let us agree to disagree. Nevertheless, here is the link for Georgia Aerial Photographs http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=gaph

I am using this link for my study of Atlanta with the 1938 photographs and are adequate for my needs. Many of the other county photographs dated 1938 look to be mosiac and have little or no zoom detail.

Mel Hadden
                        Last edited by yeoman; 07-28-2009, 01:21 PM. Reason: correct link

CWPT
                        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

Comment

I was born in Atlanta in 1950 and have lived in the area all my life. It is probably easy to know where my sympathies lie. As to the destruction of 1864 leaving remnants until the 20th century, there may be limited examples. There used to be a gas light on a street in downtown Atlanta that had been cut in half by a cannonball and pieced back together. The good city fathers saw fit to remove it several years ago and place it in a museum or move it to Underground Atlanta (which is not worth a visit, but that is another story).
                          There are Sherman's Neckties on display from Atlanta to Fort McAllister.
                          I have not viewed the aerial photos in question. If they were taken in the 1950's, I find it doubtful that reminders of the March would still be visible. Things change a lot in 90 years. Memories, however, last forever.
                          There were Confederate veterans still alive in my lifetime. They gave their all defending their country the same as WWII vets. They deserve the same reverence and respect as any American veterans.
                          I may have strayed off subject a little. Excuse the editorial.
                          Tom Dodson
                          47th Ga
                          Tom Dodson

Comment

Here's an idea. Are you guys familiar with Google Earth? If not, it shows semi-live satellite images of the whole world. You an zoom in close enough to see cars. It runs a few days behind live of course for privacy and safety...but it is real modern images. Just a theory, but you could look at all the cities and the area immediatily before and via satellite and try and find evidence of Sherman's mark.

To quote a historian and personal friend, "Growing up in South Carolina I was 17 years old before I found out that Sherman's first name was not God D***!" John H. Roper - lecture on the New South
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Mr Welch,
                              It is amazing how much was blamed on my g-g-grandpa and his men that was actually done by the rebel soldiers themselves. "The lost cause" mentality strikes again. And this time history was written mostly by those who claim that mentality as thier own.
                              The truth is there...if they would only look it up. :)
                              [FONT="Times New Roman"]
                              [I]" Stand firm and fire low!"...[B]Colonel Edward Cross 5th NHV[/B][/I]

Dean Cass
                              106th Reg't PVI
                              Co. G
                              Capt. Comdng [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X