• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56th IL Mechanic Fusileers

From Dave Taylor's latest offerings
    v/r
    Mark Susnis

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

090749 - CDV Photo Truly Unusual Civil War Uniform View 56th Illinois Mechanic Fusileers
    : In the 38 years that I’ve bought and sold Civil War photos I do not recall ever seeing this uniform previously. The photo illustration should tell the tale. The carte is signed A. Fengler and National Park Service records show him to be Albert Fengler of Chicago... 56th Illinois Mechanic Fusileers... weird title for the regiment. I do not know why he is wearing the Russian shoulder knots, nor the aiguilette, and look at those pleats in his uniform blouse. Pretty dang wild. I guess those Mechanic Fusileers were quite the dashing bunch. Photo has Little Rock, Arkansas back mark. Unit served 1862 - 1865 and saw action at Champion’s Hill, Big Black River, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Bentonville, and more. Pretty rare, definitely interesting... I’ll price it at ... $250.00
    Attached Files
    Mark Susnis
    Msusnis@hotmail.com

Re: 56th IL Mechanic Fusileers

The hair style and posing chair look a tad post-Civil war.
    Just my opinion.
    S.Sullivan

Comment

I saw that in Dave's new catalog too. Here's a website with information about the papers of James Miller. According to the biographical note, Company G of the 56th Illinois Infantry was known as the "Mechanics Fusiliers."

On The American Civil War Research Database, the 56th Illinois Infantry is noted as the Mechanics Fusiliers as a whole. I could only find one more image of a 56th Illinois man, and he was the colonel; no fancy uniform either.

Photo does look post war. Even the back mark. If I'm not mistaken, the card stock the photo is mounted to will typically be thicker and glossier as well. From the hair style, mounting, chair, style of clothing/decorum, my opinion is that this is a photograph dating to the 1870's.
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Can't say I've seen any other Ill. images like that one.

Whoa!
        John Pillers
        Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Here's another problem with the identification: although I have seen backmarks like the one on this image that date to the Civil War and arm rests like the one in the image, the big issue is that the 56th Illinois was never in Little Rock, Arkansas and there is no one named Fengler on the roster in the Illinois database (I don't know how he appears on the roster at the National Park Service site). The only Albert Fengler served in the 134th Illinois, and they served 100 days at Columbus, Kentucky. Something is really wrong with the identification.
          Last edited by ScottCross; 08-09-2009, 02:07 PM. Reason: update
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Several men from my area (Tippecanoe County, Indiana) did, in fact, join the Mechanics Fusileers in late 1861. I'll have to look again, but I'm pretty sure they all enlisted in Company D. I've gone through all the local papers for that period, but don't recall seeing any specifics on the uniforms worn. If they had been distinctive, the odds are good this would have been mentioned in one way, shape, or form. The Chicago papers (e.g., Tribune, Times, etc.) might, however, mention any unique uniformage sported by the Fusileers.

What I can say is that (working from memory), there was some kind of political donnybrook within the regiment that got pretty ugly. The end result was that quite a few men were apparently released from their enlistments and went home. Two men I specifically recall, John and Elisha Records, of Montmorenci, Tippecanoe County, IN, did go home in February 1862. John, unfortunately, contracted measles while in camp and lost the sight in his left eye. He played no further part in the war. Elisha, however, did eventually reenlist along with his brother, William "Henry" Records, into Company I, 72nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Knowledgeable individuals will know this regiment was later folded into "Wilder's Lightning Brigade."

I have access to photos of all three men mentioned above (two of the photos show Elisha and W. H. in their "Wilder Boy" jackets). Unfortunately, none of these images show either John or Elisha during their brief, and unhappy, tenure with the Mechanics Fusileers. 'Tis a pity, but there it is.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hello,...from Alaska
              My Great Grand Father...Elijah H puckett was a CPL in Co.H 56th Ill. "Mechanics Fusileers".....

Question....could there have been Pioneers in this UNIT???

Mike
              Michael Puckett

Comment

Working...
              X