Strange Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Hat

This is a repost: Can anyone tell me what kind of hat this guy has on? I saw this image on Ebay. I thought it might be one of the Scotish tam type of hats with outthe feather on the side.

Thanks Marvin
    Attached Files
    Marvin Greer
    Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Re: Strange Hat

In the center pic, when I look at the light band, it appears to be a knitted hat. Anyone else see that?
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

It reminds me of the way the WWI German off duty caps look.

Could it be a wool cap?

Cheers,
      Joseph Caridi
      Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

marvin,
        any other info about this image? he has a US plate and what looks like a SA or state jacket (maybe one of the state jacket junkies can help me out) and his top shirt button looks kinda big to me.

I'm with brother wickett on the hat, looks knit to me.
        Bryant Roberts
        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

This is all that was stated:

TINTYPE of CIVIL WAR SOLDIER Holding COCKED CARBINE
          Here I have a tintype of a Civil War soldier. He's in a case that needs to be re-hinged. Other than the hinge the case is fine. He's holding a cocked carbine. I don't know if he has his hat on backwards or what. Nice clean image. 1/6 plate size

Marvin
          Marvin Greer
          Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

Looks like it could be a Scottish tam sort of hat. The 12th Illinois Infantry ("Chicago Highland Guard") had an early uniform consisting of gray cloth jackets, trousers, and blouses, topped with dark blue tams.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
              Looks like it could be a Scottish tam sort of hat. The 12th Illinois Infantry ("Chicago Highland Guard") had an early uniform consisting of gray cloth jackets, trousers, and blouses, topped with dark blue tams.
              Brian,
              any thoughts on the jacket?
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Thats what I thought about the hat.
                Marvin Greer
                Snake Nation Disciples

sigpic

Comment

It looks to me to be a Federal State Jacket.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

The closest I can come to a description of the hat would be a copy of the period British fatigue cap, a Kilmarnock. This is similar to what was later called a pillbox but without the stiffening. Versions in the early 1860's often have this larger top effect and even the band at the bottom made of tape or a colored band of material. Versions from the 1840's tend to have a more pronounced larger top. While later versions have less enlargement and resemble a pork pie.
                    It is indeed similar to the WWI german forage cap.
                    If resources cannot show other views or provenance then I would tend to agree with the Tam or knitted camp hat.

Erik Simundson
                    Erik Simundson

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
                      My thoughts exactly. There are identified images of members of the 12th Illinois Volunteer Infantry wearing the exact same type of Tam. The 12th was heavily recruited from the Scotish-American Immigrants of Chicago and Rock Island. The jacket also appears to be an Illinois State issue jacket, which would have replaced the first issues of gray in late 1861 or early 1862. By the way, that is no carbine in his hands. I was so convinced of the association to the 12th, that I actually bid on this one (I lost of course).:cry_smile
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                      X