Peter Larson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Larson

Here is an interesting ferrotype of a soldier known as Peter Larson possibly of the 6th Wisconsin Infantry. It appears to be a "7" on his Hardee Hat, but there is no record of a Peter Larkin with the 7th Wisconsin. The image was taken sometime in 1864. Note the untrimmed, enlisted federal frock and heavy black gauntlets.

SOURCE: Wisconsin Historical Society
    [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Re: Peter Larson

after about 5 minutes of searching NPS soldier/sailor system yielded a "Peter Larson", Co D of the 7th Wisconsin. All parts seem to fit. here is a link:

http://cwar.nps.gov/civilwar/

select the "Soldier and sSailor system" link; Then selct it again from the link in the paragragh; then select "soldiers"; Then search for differnt variations of Larson, (eg larsen, lawson etc) Peter , select Union and infantry and then search.
    Last edited by Prodical Reb; 08-23-2009, 03:15 AM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

That image is included in one if the later republications of Alan Nolan's Iron Brigade. I think mine is a 3rd edition, and the image is in it.
      ~ Chris Hubbard
      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I would venture to guess that he is not wearing gauntlets ~
        these old tintypes made the hands look like this sometimes.
        I know of this because I was at first fooled by the very
        same phenomenon in a tintype I own; Scott Cross set me
        right on that one.
        Your most obedient servant and comrade,
        James C. Schumann
        Mess #3
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Then again, maybe he IS . . .
          The left hand (the image being reversed) doesn't look like a hand would,
          but more like a glove. The right hand just looks natural.
          Wish my old eyes were better!
          Your most obedient servant and comrade,
          James C. Schumann
          Mess #3
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Definitely wearing gloves.
            ~ Chris Hubbard
            Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
            [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Agreed! He is definitely wearing gloves; gauntlets to be more exact!
              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Here is his service record, courtesy of the ACW Research Database.

Peter Larson
                Residence: Franklin, WI
                Enlisted: 10/26/64 as a private.
                Mustered In: 10/26/64 into Co. D 7th Wis. Infantry
                Mustered Out: 7/3/65

His frock is trimmed, look at the edge of the gauntlet/glove on the right hand; there is the top of a trimmed French cuff as per usual on enlisted frocks. Nice brass on what looks like a mint condition army hat too!
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                X