Canadian Troops in the Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Troops in the Civil War

I was looking up photos of African-Americans in the War when i came accross a website that had a photo of a Black Canadian unit that served in the US Civil War. In the photo they are in Canadian uniform and under the Canadian flag so it was mostlikly taken while still on their home soil.

The title of the image is: Black soldiers have had a long history of defending Canada. The Volunteer Military Company from Victoria, BC, active between 1860 and 1864, served during the American Civil War (photograph by Charles Gentile, courtesy Library and Archives Canada/C-022626).

Was this a common thing that for whole units from other countries comming to the states to fight?
    Attached Files
    Marvin Greer
    Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Re: Canadian Troops in the Civil War

The description reads "Served during the American Civil War", not IN the American Civil War. The description is using the war only as a dating reference. I wish writers of captions would stop doing that, as it can be confusing.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Could it be a play on words by meaning that the unit served during the time frame of the American Civil War and not necessarily in the actual war itself?
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B][SIZE="3"]James Cannon[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sons of Confederate Veterans, Henry Watkins Allen Camp #133 (Baton Rouge, LA)[/FONT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Louisiana State Militia, 10th Brigade[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]“The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell.” [/I][/FONT]

Comment

yeah that is confusing
        Marvin Greer
        Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

I agree that the title is confusing to some and actually means that theywere serving in Canada during not "in the War".
          Britain strongly enforced the Neutrality Act which made it illegal for British Subjects to enlist on either side. Many Canadians who did used subterfuge to cross the border and enlist. They gave ficticious names and addresses among other things.
          Deserters from the Regular British army were caught trying to cross by the names and numbers on their military clothing that they failed to discard.
          Those that did served honourably and were involved in some of the most striking events of the era.
          A whole volunteer company? I find that difficult to believe.
          The picture however typifies the reaction in Canada to the enormous war taking place south of their border. Volunteer companies were formed and British regular strength enhanced after the crisis of 1862 and the depredations of Confederates in Vermont from Canada.
          An all black company is unique though.

Erik Simundson
          Erik Simundson

Comment

Originally posted by Mgreer View Post
            I was looking up photos of African-Americans in the War when i came accross a website that had a photo of a Black Canadian unit that served in the US Civil War. In the photo they are in Canadian uniform and under the Canadian flag so it was mostlikly taken while still on their home soil.

The title of the image is: Black soldiers have had a long history of defending Canada. The Volunteer Military Company from Victoria, BC, active between 1860 and 1864, served during the American Civil War (photograph by Charles Gentile, courtesy Library and Archives Canada/C-022626).

Was this a common thing that for whole units from other countries comming to the states to fight?

Excellent picture- I'd love to find more period photo's of black men in service. Are there any sources? I am doing a research paper about slaves serving in the American Revolution, as well as the Civil War.

Comment

Approx 50,000 Canadians served on both sides during the Civil War, I don't know how many may have been of African descent. I'm sure they did serve under the Canadian Flag, but it is an interesting phtograph. Thanks for posting.
              Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Working...
              X