Anybody Recognize These Guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody Recognize These Guys?

Let me clear this up, once and for all. I took this image years ago. Tell the collector, "I" still think it's collectable. lol It's an original,,,,, to ME.
    Wendell R. Decker

Comment

The Cracker Co. portrayed the 7th Ohio at Outpost 2K. I was in Co. K. Could it have been at the first Outpost event?

Edit: Guess it was!
      Last edited by Milliron; 10-26-2009, 10:32 PM. Reason: Other posts beat me to it
      Bob Muehleisen
      Furious Five
      Cin, O.

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage Image Studios View Post
        Let me clear this up, once and for all. I took this image years ago. Tell the collector, "I" still think it's collectable. lol It's an original,,,,, to ME.
        Wendell,
        I advised the collector (on another online forum) of the true identity of the image...unfortunately he went "ostrich" on me and hasn't even bothered to reply. No acknowledgement or words of thanks for saving him money. He's either embarrassed or maybe he was hoping to make a bundle on selling the image if he could successfully pass it off as original online. Who knows.

Paul McKee
        Paul McKee

Comment

Thanks John, for your remarks about the aluminum plates. Most of you know me and my work. When I came up with the idea of learning how to make these images, I WAS A COLLECTOR!!! I had collected relics for over 14 years. Been published, for pieces in my collection. I had plenty of knowledge of FAKES. I had never set out to commit FRAUD. I was out to preserve a lost art. What I have spent many years perfecting. William Dunniway even placed a jug with his name on it, in his images. If EVERYTHING WE DID WAS PERIOD, IT WOULD BE AN END TO COLLECTING.

Since I began, years ago, I marked my plates. I used a diamond bit to carve my name and copyright date, in the corner of the plate. As far as the Aluminum Plates go, I like using the plate, for that very reason. YOU CAN"T STICK A MAGNET TO IT. I have been under attack lately, because I use the Aluminum. A certain photographer suggests you go to them, because they someone taught them how to make "REAL" Japanned plates.

Ferrotypes DID rust. They bent easily. Think of it like this. During the war there were over 3000 photographers making images. How many are there TODAY? Kind of make them more rare, doesn't it? The plate you bought IS a collectible. Why would you not think that they would be just as sought after and valuable, in the future??? If it is on aluminum, it should last even longer. With a COPYRIGHT DATE on the back of the plate, it kind of makes it pointless that it is not on iron.

This is not the only image I have found trying to be past off as an 1860's original. Though it is the second time, for this photo. It is flattering that a collector thinks my work that convincing, but I am not the seller. That person is the one committing a felony. TWO actually. The second being that my plates ARE COPYRIGHTED. To protect ME and Collectors.
          Wendell R. Decker

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage Image Studios View Post
            This is not the only image I have found trying to be past off as an 1860's original. Though it is the second time, for this photo. It is flattering that a collector thinks my work that convincing, but I am not the seller. That person is the one committing a felony. TWO actually. The second being that my plates ARE COPYRIGHTED. To protect ME and Collectors.
            Wendell,
            Just to make it clear, I never once considered you had any connection with the recent seller of this image. You provide a great and appreciated service to the living history community...helping us indulge in our narcissistic impulses. You cannot control what happens when an image leaves your possession. You can only provide clues (IE: aluminum plates, etc) to help guide future collectors.

I'm curious, you say you are aware of someone trying to sell this same image as original sometime before? I wonder if it is the same person?

Paul McKee
            Paul McKee

Comment

I went to that college previously mentioned. I even tried to restart the Cracker Company a couple of times, but to no avail. There just doesn't seem to be any interest unfortunately. Most of my gear came from the store of old Cracker gear still on campus. I believe Joe Blunt or Chris Daley made the coat I have. Much obliged gents! Just a quick update on that long forgotten company...
              Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
              Wolftever Mess
              SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

Unfortunately, in an economy which has run wild in the recent past, the "vaveat emptor" clause in many juristictions (like Georgia) has enabled dishonest people to lie, cheat and steal with little or no legal repercussions.

Patrick

The "You took my word as documentation on that ?" mess
                Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                Old wore out Bugler

Comment

I believe that is Brent Brumagin in the lower left portion of the large, group shot.
                  John Pillers
                  Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

John is right. This is a picture of the "cracker" company taken at the first outpost event in November of 1999. I have seen three pictures of this company for sale as originals. Once at the Dalton Civil War show about three years ago. I told the individual selling the image that it was not an original and pointed out I was in the image. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about and left it out in the case for $1350.

Brent Brumagin
                    Brent Brumagin

Comment

THREE?????? I have known of a few that made their way onto the market. When I found out about them, I'd get them removed. My images are COPYRIGHTED. Look on the back of them and you'll see it's marked. If someone thinks of selling one of my images as an original, they are first committing a federal crime and a violation of the copyright laws. To get caught selling one of our images as an original will land you in more trouble than it's worth. I had known that the image posted here had been up for sale, before. What were the other two, Brent?

Nice to think some collector thinks my image is worth $1350. Thought it might be more. lol. If ANYONE found a way to make money from my images (legally), MORE POWER TO YOU. Remember though that you own the photo, but I own the copyright. I want a cut.

Most of you know that I am not a rich man. Could have been easily. All I ever needed to do was stop at a few places on my way home and sell my rejects as originals. Face it. Life's a bitch, right now. I am doing about a 20th of the business I once did.
                      Gas is going up again. Cost of chemicals goes up and the reenactors don't have that extra money to spend. I've got a new wanna-be photographer on the scene that wants to take over every event I do and run me out of business. Don't give a rats ass if someone did show them how to Japan a plate. I'm getting attacked over the Internet. Then there's stuff like this. As I said before, the images we make are by no means any less collectable than the originals. For those who like the idea of committing fraud, I wouldn't think a prison term would be the price you'd be looking for.

Times like these can bring out the worse in people. It can also make the more honorable ones (worth knowing) stand out.
                      Wendell R. Decker

Comment

I finally heard back from the owner of this image. Here is his reply:

All I can say is WOW! I didn't realize there was this much activity on the posting. The tintype came in a box lot at a local auction. The box contained several military photographs including three other photos of civil war soldiers. I am beginning to wonder if any of them are legit. I paid $100.00 for the box. I posted one of the other pictures on a different military collecting forum and it didn't raise any suspicion. Thanks for all of the feedback and detective work.
                        I asked him to post the other images. We'll see.

Paul McKee
                        Paul McKee

Comment

Wow Wendall!! Thank you.

I learned something here. In my family there is a post mortem of a baby boy. Like so many other images, my Grandmother glued it into a black pasteboard albumn. It always grieved my Mother that the image of the dear little face she remembered so briefly had faded to rust.

Images cannot fill empty arms. But they are a comfort still. I am grateful to know that less can go wrong with the memories you've helped us save.
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by csabugler View Post
                            Unfortunately, in an economy which has run wild in the recent past, the "vaveat emptor" clause in many juristictions (like Georgia) has enabled dishonest people to lie, cheat and steal with little or no legal repercussions.

Patrick

The "You took my word as documentation on that ?" mess
                            "A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted" P.T. Barnum

The more expensive an item, the better chance it could be a fake. Watch ebay and you will see it alot.

John DeNoma
                            Just my humble opinion.

John S. De Noma, Surgeon
                            22nd North Carolina Infantry

Comment

Other than a personal marking what other means does a wetplate photographer use to be able to identify his/her work? I would also take a digital photograph of the image and catalog it along with the place and time of it's creation. A vendor would then have to explain not only the image but why the soldiers in the image are still alive (and looking the same) almost a 150 years or so after the image was supposedly taken. :D ~Gary
                              Gary Dombrowski
                              [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

definately hadley in the pic.
                                Bryant Roberts
                                Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                                palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X