What a hat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a hat!

Hopefully this link on ebay is still up...what a hat!
    Last edited by ScottCross; 11-22-2009, 04:59 PM. Reason: Typo
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Re: What a hat!

Yes sir, I wish I could comment on the hat top....hum, but a
    fine looking hat cord with acorns.
    Can't tell what is attached to this NCO's chevrons and tie.
    Good look at the cut and stitch lines of his fatigue blouse..... looks to be a load of pills on it from wear.
    Nice image.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by yeoman; 11-22-2009, 08:54 PM.
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

He is wearing a Pattern 1858 Fatigue Blouse, which he has altered to access the interior pocket from the exterior of the breast (not unheard of). I believe the chevrons are Commissary Sergeant, but what the odd 'pinned thing' is at center, is anybody's guess. The embroidery (?) on top of the hat is just something I've never seen with a Western Federal...or anyone else for that matter!
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

The whole chevron appears to be just tacked in place or pinned on to hold it, notice how on the right arm it is lifting off the sleeve. They also appear far less worn then the rest of the coat, perhaps he just received a promotion and wanted to show off the new stripes in the photo. The hat is just wild to say the least. Truly a unique photo.

Regards,
        -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
        93rd New York Coffee Cooler
        [I]
        "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
        [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Looks to me like the hat has a stacked series of circular, pinked cloth patches that were cut to look something like what some U.S.N. caps had on top. The top most piece looks like it has a triangular cut-out in the center; maybe the cloth under that is red, thus forming a 1st Division Fourth Corps badge? No idea what the "spokes" radiating from the larger cloth patch may be but it looks like they're only on the front portion of the top of the crown. Soutache? Embroidery?
          Last edited by GreencoatCross; 11-22-2009, 10:22 PM. Reason: Added more nonsense
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I am not a Mason but this soldier could be. The triangle with rays of Sun could represent some masonic symbols. Just a thought to throw out there.

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

I'm more inclined to go with a Masonic connection here, since the image was taken in New Orleans, and the 4th Corps was never near the city.
              Scott Cross
              "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Hallo!

When one stares intently and intensely too long- things start looking like...

A headless eagle with outspread wings...

;) :)

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Who knows?? Maybe it's just decoration and coincidence since he appears to have cut out the top of a dress hat?? That would certainly explain the folds, and the need for resetting a medallion centered on top as decoration.

Paul B.
                  Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  (Loblolly Mess)
                  [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                  [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Scott,

But the 4th Corps did go to New Orleans right after the war ended, en route to Texas to deal with those pesky French in Mexico!

General Wood had served with honor in the armies of the Ohio, and the Cumberland, from the commencement of the war. He commanded the Fourth Corps in its last battle --its last victory, at Nashville. His division generals in that engagement were Kimball, Elliott, and Beatty; the casualties in the corps were 135 killed, 834 wounded and 22 missing; total, 991. The corps joined in the pursuit of Hood's defeated army, after which General Wood assembled it at Huntsville, Ala., arriving there January 5, 1865. On March 15th it moved into East Tennessee, in order to prevent the possible escape of Lee's and Johnston's armies, returning in April to Nashville, where it remained until June 16th, when it was ordered to New Orleans, en route for Texas. Although the war had virtually ended, the Fourth Corps remained in Texas during the rest of 1865, forming a part of Sheridan's Army of Occupation. The most of the regiments were, however, mustered out in December, 1865, in time for the men to spend Christmas in their homes.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Scott,
                      On close inspection, that hat looks to be to be "constructed" rather than "formed" from felt. The edge of this hat looks hemmed by folding the material itself rather than by binding with ribbon..not unlike the WW1 pattern USMC campaign hats. The crown looks to be folded in with neat plaits like a Jiffy-Pop popcorn container (anyone remember those or am I dating myself?) and the center where the plaits join hidden by the unique pinked disks apparently cut from felt. A wild thought that the triangle might represent a corps badge or masonic symbolism, but probably only a coincidence.

Paul McKee
                      Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
                        Scott,
                        On close inspection, that hat looks to be to be "constructed" rather than "formed" from felt. The edge of this hat looks hemmed by folding the material itself rather than by binding with ribbon..not unlike the WW1 pattern USMC campaign hats. The crown looks to be folded in with neat plaits like a Jiffy-Pop popcorn container (anyone remember those or am I dating myself?) and the center where the plaits join hidden by the unique pinked disks apparently cut from felt. A wild thought that the triangle might represent a corps badge or masonic symbolism, but probably only a coincidence.

Paul McKee
                        I think you are right. The "Jiffy Pop" folding at the top can be seen by 12 flat edges between the plaits (at the edge of the crown), which makes this hat even more bizzare!
                        Scott Cross
                        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Working...
                        X