No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Seen this? Zouave Ambulance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Seen this? Zouave Ambulance?

Hi,

While doing research for a work project, came across a picture I had not seen. Thought it might be of interest.

-Sam Dolan
    Attached Files
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: Has Anyone Seen this? Zouave Ambulance?

I was thinking it was a series, but maybe there are just two. Here's the other one:

I'm pretty sure they were taken about the same time of the same ambulance, since the right ambulance horse is taller and holds his head higher, and there's a light-colored horse being held in the background of both. You can see the same corduroy road or low bridge in the background of both, in position as if the photographer had moved his camera while the ambulance stayed still.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

I had a thread on another photo in the same series a while back:

Same ambulance, same soldiers, but a different shot/pose.

Enjoy!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Sir, in these two views, as you look at the officer, notice his sword is on his left side, then on his right side.

In Johns thread, the detail of the "upholstered" hinged door under the wagon bed has me to wonder what occupied this space, perhaps stretchers. Stretchers look to be on the left outside.

Looking at the image I thought I saw a hand..., closer look I see it to be the officers gauntlet lying in front of the covered jug.
        Last edited by yeoman; 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM.
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

These photos are included in the first editions of the Photographic History of the Civil War, published by the National Historical Society in the early 1980's.
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
            In Johns thread, the detail of the "upholstered" hinged door under the wagon bed has me to wonder what occupied this space, perhaps stretchers. Stretchers look to be on the left outside.
            I think it's a Howard ambulance. This site explains it (scroll down to the Howard diagram and description).

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@gmail.com
            Hank Trent

Comment

Actually, Miller's "Photographic History" was first published circa 1911, I believe. It was reprinted in 1957 (it was my main Christmas present that year), and, as with the 1911 issuance, has since been replublished in various formats. The original volumes contain the best quality photographic reproduction.
              David Fox

Comment

Sir and Ma'am, not to take away from original thread, this is a link to Francis T. Millers work.
                Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Hallo!

The second image, shared by Herr Hank, is sometimes used as Period photographic documentation of casualties by modern reenactor impressions (wounded man on the viewer's right).

Just a-funnin'...

:)

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by David Fox View Post
                    Actually, Miller's "Photographic History" was first published circa 1911, I believe. It was reprinted in 1957 (it was my main Christmas present that year), and, as with the 1911 issuance, has since been replublished in various formats. The original volumes contain the best quality photographic reproduction.
                    You're quite right. I have the entire first set printed in 1911 and while the text has some spotty identifications, the photos are very crisp and clear. Its a great history of the war and worth having on your bookshelf.

Comment

On close examination of the 2nd photo, the officer has indeed inverted his sword belt so that the hangers and sword will show on the right side vs. the left.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                        On close examination of the 2nd photo, the officer has indeed inverted his sword belt so that the hangers and sword will show on the right side vs. the left.
                        He has also placed his gauntlet on the other hand to keep the effect current.
                        I noticed that he is carrying the US Model 1860 Field and Staff Officers Sword? While the other officer in the first photo has a cavalry sword. His hand is also in a dandy bandage sling.

Cheers and see you in Nashville, if you're headed there.
                        Greg S Barnett
                        Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                        ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Working...
                        X