Surgeon on Horseback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeon on Horseback

Here is a great photo of a Civil War surgeon on horseback...A very interesting back story as well.

On May 14, 1861 Dr. Reed B. Bontecou, a practicing physician, mustered into service with the 2nd New York Infantry, organized at Troy, and known as the Troy Regiment. The regiment left the state for Fortress Monroe, Virginia, May 18 and occupied Newport News on May 29.

In September 1861 Bontecou accepted an appointment of surgeon of U.S. Volunteers and was placed in charge of the Hygeia General Hospital at Fortress Monroe. To quarantine patients, Bontecou established a small pox hospital on the beach a mile north of the main hospital at the fort.

Bontecou was obliged to inspect the small pox hospital frequently. He usually went alone to avoid exposing hospital orderlies to the infectious disease. While returning from such duty on the evening of February 25, 1862, Bontecou ran his horse along the beach. In the dark "his horse tripped over the partly-buried carcass of a mule & fell, throwing him violently over its head and causing a hernia at the umbilicus." The injury was not permanently disabling, but nonetheless "the Doctor was confined to his room & ... Twas several days before he was able to resume his duties."

On Sunday morning, March 9, 1862, Bontecou, still suffering from his injury, was "assisted to the lookout on the roof of the Yygeia Hospital" to watch the historic engagement of the waters of Hampton Roads between the Monitor and Virginia.

Fitzpatrick, Mike "Dr. Reed Bontecou". Military Images. FindArticles.com. 03 Dec, 2009. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n9194675/

Copyright Military Images Jan/Feb 2003
    Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved

[SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Re: Surgeon on Horseback

There was a previous thread on military mourning on the forum. Kindly look to the good surgeon's sword and arm. I may be wrong, but it appears he has crepe in both locations, with a rather large bow first drawing my attention to his arm.

Great image.
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Pete,

Thank you for the post as it is a fascinating photo and read. I believe this is the first time that I have seen mounted medical staff.

Also, Bob, thank you for the clarification of the black crepe. I was looking hard at the photo trying to figure out what in the world was behind him and thought it might be a surgical backpack or something related, but in fact it is the crepe.

thanks,
      Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Here is a little more info on the good Surgeon....Yeah I thought it was a pack as well..Good eyes fellas.

REED B. BONTECOU, M. D. was born at Troy, N. Y., April 22, 1824. He was educated at the High School Academy and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy; graduated M. D. from the Castleton Medical College, Vt., in 1847, when he entered into practice with his preceptor, Dr. Thomas C. Brinsmade, and has always resided in his native city. He is the author of many papers on subjects pertaining to his profession; is a member of the County Medical Society, permanent member of the New York State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.

He entered the United States army in 1861 as surgeon, and remained in active service until the close of the war, holding many positions of honor and trust. He was breveted lieutenant-colonel and colonel of volunteers in March, 1865, for faithful and meritorious services during the war. He was married July 18, 1849, to Susan Northrup.

Here it gets more interesting...It is believed this Doctor was one of the first to use clinical Photography in Medicine..

Rare calling card of the Civil War surgeon Reed Bontecou who was commissioned to run U.S. Harewood Hospital and Grounds in 1863 after serving in several theaters of combat medicine. Dr. Blair Rogers who has written a biographical essay on Bontecou, believes he is the first to make extensive use of clinical photography ("Reed B. Bontecou, M.D. - His Role in Civil War Surgery and Medical Photography" Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 2000, Vol. 24, pp. 114-129). The many thousands of anatomical specimens and photographs he prepared made up the largest archive in the Army Medical Museum and were used extensively in the preparation of the Medical and Surgical History of the War of the Rebellion.

The reverse side of this calling card is a photograph of a composited photograph showing the campus of Harewood Hospital and Grounds. Quite possibly, it is an image that Bontecou himself made. Actual dimensions of the card are 62mm and 102mm.

And some more sites of interest
        This third article on the subject of Civil War injuries and their surgical repair is devoted to Reed B. Bontecou, M.D., a New York surgeon who contributed greatly to the use of photography to document the casualties of the battlefield as seen in the Northern as well as the Southern states. Photograp …

Here is another "oldie-but-goodie" from my archive of Civil War News "Medical Department" columns. Enjoy! "FACES" b y James M. Schmidt The ...
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

His wife also divorced him in 1883 after 34 years of marriage...... Interesting to note She recieved $1750.00 a year to support herself and two children?....and the specifics of the case were not made public due to the fact that they were both members of High society Circles in NY....How interesting how things were, as compared to todays High Profile People.

Live news, investigations, opinion, photos and video by the journalists of The New York Times from more than 150 countries around the world. Subscribe for coverage of U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, science, health, arts, sports and more.
          Last edited by PetePaolillo; 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Can any horse people tell what breed that mount is? Looks like a good stocky piece of horseflesh to my layman's eye.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

That is a cool image.

That horse is stocky indeed Mike. It is obviously next to impossible to know for sure but lets see here, long head, very thick neck, short ears, short back, deep chest and well muscled quarters all of that, to my eye ,suggests a horse heavy on draft blood. Norman bred or a cross with Norman blood perhaps? He ,or she ,favors a "modern" Percheron draft I know here locally right down to the color.
              But then again we can never really know for sure. Good eye for a ground pounder though!
              Stockier than most horses in images from the period I would say...
              Patrick McAllister
              Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Patrick,

Percheron was the first thing that came to my mind, especially with that dappling on the hindquarters. But, I'm not that knowledgeable on horse breeds and didn't know. Doesn't look like the typical breed someone would be riding everyday to me or were draft type horses used as riding horses that much?
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                X