North Carolina Military Institute Cadet Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina Military Institute Cadet Image

While doing some research yesterday I found this image of James Dinkins, who entered the North Carolina Military Institute in 1860. I thought it was a neat image and wanted to share it. The picture was included in an article Dinkins wrote about his wartime service for the November 1914 issue of Illinois Central Railroad Magazine.

J. Thomas Giambrone, Esq.

Have History Books, Will Travel.

Re: North Carolina Military Institute Cadet Image

That is a cool photo! Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what that buff strap is? Bayonet baldrick/cartridge box? And is anyone reproducing it? I'd actually rather like to put together a NCMI impression for early war.
    Jim Whitley

Comment

My guess is cartridge box.. sincs you can see it just under his elbow. I am wondering... is that a Colt-Root revolving rifle??
      Robert W. Hughes
      Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
      Thrasher Mess
      Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
      ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
      Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
      And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Did Dinkins go on to serve in the Confederate Army? On the National Park Service site the only James Dinkins in North Carolina served in "Griswold's Company, North Carolina Local Defense." If not, then I hope he appreciated his good fortune!
        Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Originally posted by FortyRounder View Post
          ...James Dinkins in North Carolina served in "Griswold's Company, North Carolina Local Defense."...

One could assume that he is on Griswold's roster. Many young NC cadets stayed with their schools and (later) actively serve with the LD around the Goldsboro rail yards and the provost in Kinston and Wilmington. Clark states that Griswold's LD company was listed as Capt. Philip Burwell's until April, '63.
          Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 12-10-2009, 01:36 AM. Reason: corrected burwell spelling
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

This James Dinkins served in Barksdale's Mississippi Brigade initially and later went on to serve on the staff of Bedford Forrest. He wrote a very entertaining memoir "Recollections of an Old Johnnie" that was reprinted by Morningside many years ago. This photo was in the book. Here is one link to said book but there are others: http://openlibrary.org/b/OL11270794M...dale's_Brigade)
            Last edited by roundshot; 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,
              are there any obscure facts that you don't know?
              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Ah, Mike, you know I am a veritable plethora of useless information. Actually the book is online and you can read it here: http://www.archive.org/stream/1861to...ge/n9/mode/2up
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                X