Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• independent battery g, pittsburgh artillery

fort delaware:
    Lt. A.G. Wolf & members of Young's Independent Battery G, Pittsburgh Heavy Artillery
    battery g
    battery g
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MPDoughBoy153; 12-24-2009, 09:47 PM.
    Breandan Mackie

Re: independent battery g, pittsburgh artillery

Thanks! Nice selection of different coats etc.

Any date available for this picture?
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Re: independent battery g, pittsburgh artillery

The above albumen was taken post 22 August 1863. Lieutenant Wolf was promoted from sergeant in late July 63' and several of the men photographed didn't arrive on the island until late August 1863. Most likely either April 30, 1864 0r July 6, 1864 is the actual date of the image. Both 64' dates have individuals citing John L. Gihon (photographer) visiting the island. The April 64' date is more likely as existing images dated are all inside the fort. The images from July 6th are all set in the prison pen.

"Saturday, 30th- General inspection to-day. All the companies out; the soldiers in their best attire; fine music; the paroles signed; and with the fine weather, the island has worn a holiday appearance. The photographer has been the great man of the day. After the inspection, Capt. Mulotowski [Mlotkowski] had his company paraded in squads, for their pictures. He appears to be on very familiar terms with his soldiers; and it was amusing to see him fixing the men, and adjusting their arms, caps ect., to give them a graceful appearance..."

-Dr. Isaac W.K. Handy, political prisoner

Another soldier, Pvt. Alexander C. Hamilton of Battery G, discusses in 1863 about getting issued light artillery jackets (both the high collar and the contract-lower-collar variant. He states that they men will likely refused to wear them. I don't have his diary handy or I'd cite it verbatim. along with the date. I'll post that later.
      Breandan Mackie

Comment

Working...
      X