X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Prisoners of War

Dr. Isaac W. K. Handy, political prisoner
    Fort Delaware April 30, 1864-

"The artist tried his skill, with a group embracing the paroled officers, Brogden and myself, making fifteen in all. The company did me the honor to give me the central position, with General Vance on the right, and Gen. Thompson on the left-the others seated on either side, or standing in the rear, with Bailey Key, the orderly, on a blanket in front. Something was said about bringing a couple of Rebel ladies into the picture. Gen. Jeff good humoredly suggested, that it was "bad enough to introduce a preacher into such company;" and so the ladies, beautiful, and thoroughly "secesh," will be more appropriately daguerreotyped upon the hearts of certain distinguished heroes, for whom their best was more especially intended."

Attached Files
    Last edited by MPDoughBoy153; 12-25-2009, 04:03 PM.
    Breandan Mackie

Re: Confederate Prisoners of War

Is it known who the young man is an orderly for? Only one other person shown, Col. W.W. Ward is shown to be from Tennessee.
    Charlie Noble

Starr's Battery, NC Artillery

Comment

Re: Confederate Prisoners of War

Private Bailey Peyton Key was the ordery for General Vance and Thompson while at Fort Delaware. He was in the 14th Tennessee Cavaly and born on Christmas Day in 1848. After the war he went to Jefferson Medical University and thus became a medical doctor.
      Breandan Mackie

Comment

Working...
      X