Capture Confederates at Norfolk, VA 1864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture Confederates at Norfolk, VA 1864

This image was found in the MOLLUS/Massachusetts collection via the US Army Heritage & Education Center. I have never seen this before and I was wondering if many folks have. So.. I'm sharing:

If you'd like to see the digitally scanned, zoom friendly image then follow the LINK and type in 'Confederate Prisoners' in the search engine.

As you'll see, the handwriting attached to the image says "Confederate Prisoners as they appeared when captured near Norfolk VA, Oct. 1 '64." However, a good friend suggested that perhaps this image was taken while in prison rather than immediately after capture. Any ideas? Comments? Discussions.. enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM. Reason: sought to encourage discussion
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Re: Capture Confederates at Norfolk, VA 1864

They certainly appear to fit the image of the "Ragged Rebel." The shorter one seems to have the "1000 yard stare" of a war-weary soldier.
    Mick Cole

Comment

If they were captured in Oct of 64 near Norfolk they may have been some of the irregulars or just plain criminals hiding in the Dismal Swamp. I have read letters of Union Soldiers stationed in Portsmouth and they make mention of the rebels they encountered on pickett duty near the swamp. If that is what they were, more power to them for surviving in that place. It would explain their clothes.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Despite the captioning, I have always wondered if these men weren't, in fact, Federal POWs as they looked upon repatriation to Union lines. The coats look to be Federal sacks. Plus only someone with lots of time on their hands could sew so many patches.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I have seen this image captioned as escaped Federal prisoners from a CS POW camp. Will dig and see if I can find it - was in a book.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Federal.. eh? Now that does offer an interesting reversal of roles. I do know that so often, labels and captions were misapplied to images from that era.. I'd love to know what other identification was offered for these two men. I SINCERELY doubt I did more 'research' than someone using this image for their body of work.. BUT one never knows until the true source is revealed. I will also dig further.
            Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
            Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
            ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
            ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
            ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
            ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
            ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Les Jensen says the following about this photo; "... Indeed, their clothing is so patched and ragged - and given the contrast between these men and known photos of Confederates in the field who are in much better condition - that this may possibly be a propaganda photograph. It is difficult to analyze the uniforms, although the man on the left appears to have a sack coat of Federal style, while the man on the right has some kind of jacket."

This caption comes from the book Johnny Reb: The Uniform of the Confederate Army, 1861 - 1865; p. 77

Take Mr. Jensen as you will, as I know that there are some instances where his research has been found to be wrong, or false.
              Nic Clark
              2017 - 24 years in the hobby
              Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

Working...
              X