William Jarratt 45th georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Jarratt 45th georgia

Found this image in a collection of photographs online (www.floridamemory.com)

A quick search for William Garnett Jarratt shows a man by the same name served in the 45th Georgia; enlisted March of 1862 and died in a Petersburg hospital July 10 1862.

You can certainly see the rough material his jacket is made. Am I crazy for seeing a belt loop on the jacket on our left hand side?
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Re: William Jarratt 45th georgia

It does appear to be a belt loop. Not that familiar with Richmond Depot jackets, but I thought only the Type I had the belt loops, but also had the shoulder straps and piping. Others will definitely be able to shed a lot brighter light on this subject that I can!
    Also something I noticed, is that a dark colored wheel hat on the table to our left? Possibly a Mex War hat?
    [B]Justin Morris[/B]
    [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
    "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

To quote Jenson on the RDI:
      The distinctive point about the first pattern jacket, and the feature that distinguished it from the Type II, was that it was trimmed on the collar, shoulder straps and cuffs with either tape or piping. However, because all of these details must be either gleaned from photographs or inferred from later practice, there is still much that is open to discussion. Moreover, because these jackets were produced during the official commutation period, they may very well have had in**dividual differences created by the demands of unit com**manders.

According to the above comments it is certainly not a typical RD I.
      Jenson on the RD II:
      The Richmond Depot Type II jacket is characterized by a nine-button front, no buttons on the cuffs, top-stitched edges, shoulder straps, belt loops on each hip, an unbleached cotton osnaburg lining and interior pockets. It has a six piece body and two piece sleeves. Generally, it has no trim, although examples with partial trim do exist.
      I count 8 buttons...but this does not rule it out...because there were variations.
      ...variations in the coat material and the number of buttons have been noted.
      http://www.military-historians.org/c...federate-2.htm
      To me, the sleeves seem a little broad for the RD and they may possibly be one piece as I do not see a seam at all on either sleeve (possibly under the arm of the right sleeve but I can't be certain).
      Again, speculation on my part here but on most examples of the RD there is distinct topstitching. My guess is Satinette????
      Perhaps it's one of those early war jackets produced during that period that raises thousands of eyebrows on this forum if you name it by it's commonly noted name.

Really neat image! Thanks for posting!
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

That doesn't really look like a belt loop to me. Awfully low if it is isn't it? To me, it looks like it could almost be the back of the jacket in that area scrunched up behind him as if it's been caught on something or pulled up in some manner.

That does look like a wheel hat on the table to me.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Justin,
          I noticed the wheel cap as well, but forgot to post it.

Luke,
          I don't think this is a depot jacket per se. If the website I found that states Jarratt died in July of 62, I'd lean that this is a private purchase or home made jacket.
          Bryant Roberts
          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Instead of focusing on private purchase or home made, we should evaluate when the 45th GA was in certain locations. Obviously they were in Virginia in July, but did he join while they were in Georgia or did he meet up with the unit in Virginia? He could have been supplied this uniform at his jumping off point. This could be something he got from sources outside the Confederacy, but it could be issued equipment. I am with others in saying this is not an Richmond issue.
            [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
            [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Brian,

The commutation system was still in effect (as you know). I read an account in the 8th Georgia's regimental history (A Scyth of Fire) where a line officer states that they were entirely dependent upon home for clothing. This was in Feb. of 63. I think we overestimate the impact of gov't supplied clothing in what we call the "early war" period.
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Here's a jacket from the same period that may be similar:

J. L. Weeks of the 16th Alabama Infantry

I believe this jacket is also 8 buttons (if you count one being behind the belt buckle). They seem to have the same fit. On the Weeks image, I always found the collar strange. It seems that the image posted in this thread may have the same collar. It almost seems as if it doesn't fit the jacket well. Possibly pulling at the jacket in the back and not letting it lay correctly on the wearer's shoulders.
                Luke Gilly
                Breckinridge Greys
                Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                X