Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate are those Harpers Weekly and Frank Leslie sketches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate are those Harpers Weekly and Frank Leslie sketches?

I just had a great visit up to Charleston recently and was very pleasantly surprised by a picture I snapped when I went home and compared it to a Harpers weekly newspaper that I found while doing a search, unrelated to what I found. The first picture I took on Sunday 3/8/10 was shot near White Point Gardens looking down towards Rainbow Row.

The sketch is titled
    "THE BATTERY OR PARK PROMENADE AT CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA, DURING THE BOMBARDMENT OF FORT SUMTER", published in "Harper's Weekly" May 1861

It just shows you how the artists paid great attention to detail when they made their sketches. They were the Photographs of their time. I though it was good enough to share. I hope someone likes this.
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Re: How accurate are those Harpers Weekly and Frank Leslie sketches?

A similarly impressive effect is found with the swearing in of Jefferson Davis, and the current facade of the the Alabama State Capitol.

Yet another thing I can't do any good on posting from a phone............
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Something to remember or note is that many of those periodicals used photographs as the basis for the engravings that were printed in them. That is yet another reason why the detail is often great.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Sir and ma'am, from another thread, if I may quote. "At a time when shutter speed of cameras was slow to capture action, the public's only glimpse of the action came from the sketch artists."

Some of the artists known to us, Alfred Waud, Edwin Forbes, Francis Schell...all the lesser known and unknown did much of their work in the moment. The sight's, sounds...the smell of the day is in their work, the result of their personal experience.
        As a diary or journal is much more in touch to the moment than a collected "history" of an event...so to these sketches and drawings as compared to photographs.

The photographs we study are the primary source...,my 2 cents, these artists work is that instant in time we rarely see.

Edwin Forbes, "My Studio"

Thanks for the consideration, Mel Hadden.
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
          Edwin Forbes, "My Studio"
          Is that a makeshift bootscraper he's rigged up, in the lower right corner? March would have been muddy. That's something you don't see at events.

It would also have been an excellent way to trip people coming along the front of his tent in the dark. :)

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@gmail.com
          Hank Trent

Comment

Sir, good eye on the boot scrapper...,viewing several images from City Point Va., seems the cabins at Grants headquaters also had them in place.

General J.A.Rawlins, wife and child.

Sketch by A.R.Waud, Grants headquarters, City Point Va.
            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Yes indeed. Those City Point views are spot on. And today, (2010), the NPS has even taken time to recreate "Grant's bootscraper". I gave tours as a seasonal at PNB for two years then ran my own guided tour business visiting City Point many times in 10 years. But, I have NEVER seen or taken note of this sketch. Waud's detail is impressive. Look at the porch in the distance. (Appomattox Manor) That's vine creeping around and over the Feds standing there. Based on period photographic images, we know this to be accurate. BUT, did anyone notice the difference in placement of "ye olde boot scraper" in the sketch versus the photo with Rawlings? I believe that's 'cause Rawlings is shot standing in front of "his" cabin which was next to Grant's. (And closer to the Eppes house.)

Good stuff, this.
              John Marler
              Franklin, TN

Comment

Working...
              X