General Stoneman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Stoneman

Sir and ma'am, I thought this image of General Stonemans trousers interesting.

The LOC description has this group at the Fair Oaks, Virginia vicinity. General Stoneman and staff, 1862 June.

This image may be found here
    Last edited by yeoman; 04-09-2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: Fix url
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: General Stoneman

Hello Yeoman
    very similar to the boot cuffs commonly found amongst British cavalrymen and officers during the Napoleonic wars.
    Simple things that work well always gain widespread use.

Kim Stewart-Gray

Comment

Fellow second from the left doesn't exactly exhibit a military posture....
      David Fox

Comment

Thanks for blowing that up! This is one of those pictures that I have looked at hundreds of times, and never noticed a detail like that. Is Stoneman wearing low civilian style shoes, or are those his drawers peeking out from beneath his trousers? I notice also that the other guy who's leg you see is wearing a stirrup on the bottom of his trousers to keep his pants from riding up while he rides.

Take care,
        Tom Craig
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Tom Craig

Comment

It also looks as though the good General in his haste to pose for this image forgot to tie his shoes.
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Gentlemen,

I sincerely believe that style of trouser, leather cuffs at the bottom, often of a full or baggy cut, was first made popular by the French Cavalry General, Antoine Lasalle. Contemporary French and British narratives often refer to the style as, "pantaloon a la Lasalle". I have seen a similar style but much fuller, in contemporary images, popular among French Cavalry through the Franco-Prussian War. However, the French fashion would be to take the leather all the way up to the knee, mimicking that of actual boot tops in the finish when in fact only trousers. Regardless, the idea is conveyed by this officer.

As this group most often requires proof to back up such a claim, I refer you to a photo of Captain Surget of the Dragoons of the Guard in captivity in Germany. pp. 11 Osprey #233, French Army 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War 1 Imperial Troops and Captain Rozat de Mandres of the 4th Chasseurs a Cheval in campaign dress. pp. 39, same edition.

Sorry, both images are listed as "Private Collection" so possibly not published on the internet. I've yet to search. If you review the famous painting of General Lasalle leading the charge just before his death at Wagram, you'll see he is wearing a style of trouser quite similar. While not a photograph, as much could be at the 'fancy' of the Artist, nevertheless, it was thought of enough to show him in this style of trouser.

I am,
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]Brian Y. Mikels[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][B]"Das Paradies der Erde liegt auf den Rucken der Pferde."[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]"The Duck River Line-Winter 1863"[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]1, February 2009[/I][/FONT]
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. 2nd Tenn U.S. (Mounted Rifles)[/I][/FONT]
            [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE=2][/SIZE]"The Fight for Crampton's Gap"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT="Book Antiqua"]16-18, July 2010[/FONT][/I]
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. Devaney Good, 2nd Vir Cav[/I][/FONT]
            [B][FONT=Book Antiqua]"The 2015 Lincoln Funeral Coalition"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT=Book Antiqua]1-3, May 2015[/FONT][/I]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua][I]Brig. Gen. James A. Ekin, Honor Guard[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Note 2 flies in use- one over the tent & 1 as "porch" fly. Also a strange looking finial atop the upright. 2d "porch" fly in background
              [I][B]Terri Olszowy[/B][/I]

Comment

Working...
              X