Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorktown Photo

Greetings,

I've been looking at this photo for awhile and I wonder if it might be where Water Street runs along the riverfront in Yorktown, downstream from the bridge that crosses the York River. If you do a google street view it is very similar. Any thoughts?

-Sam Dolan
    Attached Files
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: Yorktown Photo

Sam,

It has been a while since I have been in Yorktown.
    Do you have a date associated with this photo?
    Do the all the Feds in the photo, my guess would be after the front had moved toward Williamsburg and/or beyond. Nearer to the end of the Peninsula Campaign.
    Just a thought on my part,

Comment

Originally posted by guad42 View Post
      ...I wonder if it might be where Water Street runs along the riverfront in Yorktown, (just) downstream from the bridge that crosses the York... -Sam Dolan
      You are correct.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Mr. Beall,

Thank you!

To answer your question Blair, I believe it's spring '62.

-Sam
        Samuel K. Dolan
        1st Texas Infantry
        SUVCW

Comment

When this photo is enlarged one can see that the Feds in the background are "heavies" and armed with Sharps rifles with sword bayonets. Since the 2 flank companies of the 1st Connecticut H. A. were armed with Sharps, I'd wager that's who these fellows are. This unit played a conspicuous role during the "siege."
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Sir, I did enlarge the image to bring out more detail...

and this deep background shot along the shore.
            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Ive attached a current image at about the same location.
              Attached Files
              Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Are those two bander rifles I am seeing?
                Aka
                Wm Green :D
                Illegitimi non carborundum
                (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

I believe (a.k.a.) "roundshot" Bob Williams is correct. Many appear to be Sharps Rifles set up with saber bayonets.
                  These are indeed three band Rifles, but they are equipped with a standard 30 inch barrel.
                  Pleases keep in mind this is 3 inches shorter than the standard "Rifle" muzzle loading length barrel of 33 inches. Which are considered "less than safe" in the rank and file today.

What I find interesting are the four Whitworth Breech loading Cannons among the Artillery pictured.

Comment

Wow, excellent quality on the blown up image! I don't know how I missed this thread, Yorktown is my stomping ground. There are a whole series of photographs done along the river there that the Library of Congress has up as well as a few that are unpublished showing the works built for th siege of '62. I believe these photos were taken in late March or early April of '62 and yes the 1st Conn H.A. is very prominent in most of the photographs, unfortunately I don't know all the details of the regiment as far as which company was equipped with what. There is another couple of photos taken by "Cornwallis' Cave" which we've been able to identify a couple of the 1st Conn. H.A. officers. A very interesting series of photos and a good look at the Army of the Potomac as they arrived on the Peninsula for the push to Richmond.

The 1st Conn. H.A. was spread throughout the Yorktown area, their siege stores being kept miles away and ammunition floated through the creeks on barges up to their respective batteries. I'll try to find the links to the other photos and post them up when I get the chance, I'm sure some of them have already been posted a while ago but they are unique, so worth reposting again. Glad to see a thread on the hometown.
                    Cheers,
                    [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Kirby: I would date these photos to around mid-May 1862 at earliest, since the Rebs did not vacate the premises until May 3rd.

Blair: Good eye on the Whitworth's, for that is what they certainly appear to be. I'll have to check further on their origin.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,

I would tend to agree about dating the image. Late April to perhaps mid May.
                        Most of the Confederate Forces had retreated to the West of the Chickahiminy River/Swamp system by April.
                        My Great Grandfather was stationed at Yorktown with Co. B, 1st Va, Artillery, Wise's VA, Battery. He was back in Staunton, VA. in the Shenandoah Valley by May 5th. when the Regiment was reorganized.

It looks like there are four Whitworth Breech loading cannons. Three might be 18 to 20 pounders with one at about a 10 pounder calibers.

One other thing, Sharps produced what can best be disribed as the "only" breech loading "Rifle Musket". This was standard to the basic "rifle" in all respects except that it came with a barrel length of 36 inches and had the bottom of the barrel mounted saber bayonet lug. (6 inche longer than the standard Rifle)
                        These are quite rear today. It is difficult to tell in these photos but could some of these be the NM-1859 Sharps "Rifle Muskets"?

Check with R. Reilly, U S Military Small Arms 1816 - 1865, pages, 102 -103 & 4.

Comment

What I think it totally cool and different is the fact that all these guys have their blankets or overcoats on top of your packs. You don't see that very much, and I have never seen it for an entire unit in a photo. These blow ups are super cool!
                          Take care,
                          Tom Craig
                          Tom Craig

Comment

Bob, it's been awhile since I've looked at these photos. Since I've been away from the "hobby" and subject for quite some time I'll keep mum on the topics while I have zero research or notes available at this time until I can sort through my stuff post deployment. I'll still try to find the LOC links to the other photos associated with these, can't go wrong there.
                            Cheers,
                            [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Working...
                            X