Keep off the Grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep off the Grass

Earliest evidence of cranky landscapers?

District of Columbia. Sergeants of 3d Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, with gun and caisson at Fort Totten. June 1865. LOC #LC-B817-7687
    Attached Files
    Paul Boccadoro
    Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Re: Keep off the Grass

Evidence of the first war against drugs?
    "God created Man...Sam Colt made us equal."

Comment

I have read that the forts around Washington were sodded to prevent erosion. Or maybe a politician's wife thought that raw dirt looked to dirty.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I'm surprised it didn't read "Keep off the Slopes".
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

There they go, messing with our rights!
          Carlton Mansfield
          26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

The sign is a cute reminder of the very important passage in the official regulations requiring that all unauthorized personnel keep off the mowed faces of earthen fortifications. When I first started reading and re-reading the regulations in my younger years I was always puzzled by the degree of importance that was placed on such a rule. Of course now I realize that one of the peacetime military's most dedicated duties is to maintain the property in its care to the nth degree.

Take care,
            Tom Craig
            Tom Craig

Comment

Nice find. I assume the photographer meant to capture the man and his piece. But he also recorded several layers of history for us.

Did you crop it before posting?
              Pat Brown

Comment

Oh yes. The whole image is worth a look, too.
                Pat Brown

Comment

Lindsey:

Could you post the entire image?

Kace
                  Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
                  7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

I have come across several references to "Keep off the Grass" dating back as early as 1803 but this is in fact the earliest image I have seen yet. Thanks Paul for posting!

By the way, those who have asked for the full size image (and have trouble using the LOC documentation that Paul provided) you can find it at:

Matthew Semple

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Craig View Post
                      The sign is a cute reminder of the very important passage in the official regulations requiring that all unauthorized personnel keep off the mowed faces of earthen fortifications. When I first started reading and re-reading the regulations in my younger years I was always puzzled by the degree of importance that was placed on such a rule. Of course now I realize that one of the peacetime military's most dedicated duties is to maintain the property in its care to the nth degree.

Take care,
                      Tom Craig
                      Even beyond the issue of military perfectionism, I'd think that it really would be necessary, with thousands of men milling around. Once they all start walking up and down the slopes, the grass would soon turn to mud, and then erosion would begin, and there go the earthen walls.

Of course, that would just mean more work for the men building the walls back up. Come to think of it, I'm surprised the military didn't encourage them to walk on the grass in peacetime. :)

Hank Trent
                      hanktrent@gmail.com
                      Hank Trent

Comment

It reminds me of the modern military pony show and clean sweep. Some things never change. There has to be a secret manual for Sergeants Major detailing standards on pulling weeds out of the cracks in street curbs and proper width between lines raked in the dirt. I am crying inside...
                        V/R
                        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyshirt View Post
                          It reminds me of the modern military pony show and clean sweep. Some things never change. There has to be a secret manual for Sergeants Major detailing standards on pulling weeds out of the cracks in street curbs and proper width between lines raked in the dirt. I am crying inside...
                          Not to mention the exact shade of white to paint the rocks...
                          Robert W. Hughes
                          Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                          Thrasher Mess
                          Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                          ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                          Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                          And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Keeping "Soldiers off the Grass" was a challenging battle in and around Washington DC it seems. I can only imagine Sherman's boys lying about on the nice green grass in the final days of War, just feeling good about going home.

The next day we marched into Washington. It took us three hours and a half to pass a given point. The streets were wide in Washington, so we could march a company in one platoon. Pennsylvania Avenue is one mile long from the Capitol Building to the White House.
                            The streets were filled from curb to curb with soldiers. They had the grand stand opposite the White House. Many of the regiments had their flags torn, so that you could scarcely tell they had ever been a flag.
                            We went into camp about one mile outside of Washington. We used to go down to Washington every day to see the sights. I have seen the parks full of Sherman soldiers lying sound asleep in the middle of the day. I thought they were taking their rest, and was glad to see them. There were signs up all over to keep off the grass, for Sherman's army had the freedom of the city. They mustered them out as fast as they could and paid them.I got transportation and a pass to go to my regiment. They thought it would be mustered out in Chicago, where it was mustered in. When I got there I couldn't find the regiment or the mustering out officer; so I had to get transportation again to go back.
                            Then they gave me sufficient authority to be mustered out if I could only find my regiment. This time I went to Memphis, Tennessee. There I found my regiment had done duty there, and had been mustered out. I then returned to Chicago again and was mustered out, and paid $560 June 20,1865.This ended my war career.
                            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Here, is another photograph taken by Alexander Gardner in Richmond, Va. in April 1865 (LC-DIG-cwpb-00391).

It was taken behind the State Capitol Building, facing Capitol Street. The building on the right is the old City Hall. One of my co-workers believes that the sign posted in the tree reads:

"Keep Off Grass/ Do Not Sleep."

At 49MB it is still a little hard to decipher but it looks possible.
                              Attached Files
                              Jason C. Spellman
                              Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
                              X