Lt. William Eggleston 1843-1904

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt. William Eggleston 1843-1904

Would like feedback on what looks like a belt under his coat and over his vest. He is my GGgranduncle, initially with the 18th MS, Co. K with his brother Charles 1839-1864 then they went to the Confederate Signal Corps, ANV under their first cousin Capt. Richard Eggleston Wilbourne. According to my distant white, first cousin Dr. Robert Eggleston, both of them were captured at Gettysburg, Charles escaped from a NY prison and William was later exchanged. He ended up the war as a staff officer with BG Peter Stark of Hampton's Legion.

Anita L. Henderson
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Attached Files

Re: Lt. William Eggleston 1843-1904

To me it just looks like the lower part of his vest. Maybe my eyes aren't cooperative.
    Sincerely,
    Emmanuel Dabney
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

A good element of speculation, here. It appears to my eyes that it is a lanyard of some sort. There seem to be two two pieces (or one looped piece) that join together just below the vest collar. The joined piece then trails off to the side, underneath the coat. Looks to be too much material for holding a watch. Holster, maybe? I'll stop here, before my imagination carries me completely away.
      [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
      John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Thanks for your feedback Em! Congrats on your degree!

Anita

Comment

Dear John:

A lanyard is an excellent possibility, maybe a pistol lanyard? Unfortunately it is hard to distinguish exactly what it is. I know they were used by cavalry and also probably staff officers especially since they generally weren't armed with carbines or muskets. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Anita

Comment

It appears to me that his jacket is bulged out in two lines that start at the waist and the arm and converge on the vest. The triangular bulge has a slightly darker tone when you squint at it. It does appear that there is something there. I can't imagine it being a small satchel as I would think such an object would have been removed for a formal portrait but it does look like a sling or strap to something is indeed there.
            Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
            9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
            On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

I would suggest a period wallet or perhaps a journal or book of some sort, sticking out of a pocket in the lining of his jacket.
              John Sarver

Comment

Dear Gary:

Thanks for your feedback! It is frustrating not having a clear view of whatever is there.

Anita

Comment

Dear John:

Wow John! I hadn't considered that as a choice! Thanks for your feedback.

Anita

Comment

Working...
                  X