Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruins of the Exchange Bank Graffiti!

Folks,

I was re-examining the photo "Richmond, Va. Ruins of the Exchange Bank (Main Street) with the facade nearly intact" (LC-DIG-cwpb-02885 ) through the Library of Congress' website and made an interesting discovery.

The photo was taken by T. C. Roche of E. & H.T. Anthony Company (New York) in April 1865. There is noticeable graffiti written on the bank's lower front walls and also on its pillars. Drawings include a bird with a caption bubble and two men boxing. "U.S. Grant" appears twice.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 07-02-2010, 02:04 PM.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Re: Ruins of the Exchange Bank Graffiti!

Most prominently displayed are the names of William H. Gaylord, Addison Baker, and D. K. P___ of Company D, 19th Wisconsin Infantry. The regiment fought in Butler's Army of the James and were among the first troops to enter the city after the Richmond-Petersburg Campaign. They occupied Richmond on April 3, 1865, and were on provost duty until April 28.

The Exchange Bank was located between 11th and 12th Streets off of Main Street in the once thriving banking district of the city. These columns remained standing until the 1960s before being permanently demolished.
    Attached Files
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Jason,
      Thank You for posting these! I'm really intrigued by the first image and am not quite sure what they were trying to represent there!
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Hey! I cash and deposit all my checks at 12th and main. I didn't know that is where all that jazz was. I learn more living in this city everyday.
        Sam Harrelson
        Liberty Rifles
        Independent Volunteers
        Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

Originally posted by Shockoe Hill Cats View Post
          Most prominently displayed are the names of William H. Gaylord, Addison Baker, and D. K. P___ of Company D, 19th Wisconsin Infantry. The regiment fought in Butler's Army of the James and were among the first troops to enter the city after the Richmond-Petersburg Campaign. They occupied Richmond on April 3, 1865, and were on provost duty until April 28.

The Exchange Bank was located between 11th and 12th Streets off of Main Street in the once thriving banking district of the city. These columns remained standing until the 1960s before being permanently demolished.
          Addison Baker enlisted in Co. D 19th Wisconsin from Saukville on March 27, 1862, reenlisted as a Corporal and MO August 9, 1865. William H. Gaylord enlisted at Oxford on March 19, 1862, promoted to Corporal and MO on April 29, 1865. There were only four men in the company who's last name started with "P", none with the initials "D. K."
          Scott Cross
          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
            Addison Baker enlisted in Co. D 19th Wisconsin from Saukville on March 27, 1862, reenlisted as a Corporal and MO August 9, 1865. William H. Gaylord enlisted at Oxford on March 19, 1862, promoted to Corporal and MO on April 29, 1865. There were only four men in the company who's last name started with "P", none with the initials "D. K."
            Cool! Thanks for looking that up, Scott. I went on a whim and guess that "A. Baker" was Addison (Company D) and not Alonzo Baker (Company K). And "D.K.P." was my interpretation of the graffito. I wish we could read more of it, darn you columns!
            Jason C. Spellman
            Skillygalee Mess

Comment

Working...
            X