William Colwell-2nd Wisconsin Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Colwell-2nd Wisconsin Infantry

I was browsing the digitalized images from the Wisconsin Historical Society and found this interesting image.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/...rt%5Fby%3Ddate

Attached is a carte-de-visite of Captain William Colwell, Company B, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry. What I found interesting is the shoulder holster for his pistol, something I have never seen.

And while the items that he's wearing are definitely cool, he was killed at South Mountain. It just seems that many re-enactors focus on gear in these images and forget that these were men that left families and friends behind.

BB
    Attached Files
    Bill Backus

Re: William Colwell-2nd Wisconsin Infantry

These are reportedly his Bull Run duds, with his picture being taken to show how he appeared during the battle. He does look a little care worn.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Calwell's image was widely printed by Brady, we have one at my museum and I've seen quite a few other copies. I always liked his camp shoes. The rig he is wearing is really odd. It is almost as if he modified his sword belt and hung his holster on the cross-strap. The way his trousers are crumpled and creased, they look as if they were cotton or linen almost.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Hi gents,

Also one correction - his name is Wilson and not William. Great picture for those 1861 officer impressions at Bulls Run - a hint for our HHM event next year at Manassas NMP. Colwell was one of the leading Captains in the Second Wisconsin, a banker by trade, and before leaving for was, was elected the Mayor of La Crosse.

Good stuff.

Tom
        Tom Klas
        Hard Head Mess
        Citizens Guard

Comment

Working...
        X