Lookout Mountain Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookout Mountain Photo

I was browsing around ebay today and I saw this photo: http://cgi.ebay.com/Civil-War-TinTyp...61950473860915

I don't think it is original but I was wondering what other people's opinions are on the photo.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Lookout Mountain Photo

Metal doesn't stick to a magnet. Aluminum?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

Also, what is the blue discoloration seen around the edges? I see a lot of tin types run through the auction house and have never seen a blue discoloration before. It obviously is some sort of oxidation, maybe from the use of a different metal?

Kace
      Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
      7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

I thought the same thing about the blue discoloration. I've only seen that type of discoloration on reproduction images.
        Andrew Turner
        Co.D 27th NCT
        Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Its a fake, or i should say modern done tin type. It was done on a piece of recycled newspaper print sheeting(not sure if that is what it is really called) made of aluminum. Its cheaper than tin, and done so it cant be passed off as original. It looks like one that Wendall Decker did at Lookout Mountain back in the late 90's. I will contact him and see if he reconizes it-he always likes to be notified when someone is trying to pass off one of his images as original. i think I reconize the individual in the image and will run it by him as well. This smells like the familiar handiwork of a North Georgian who used to grace our hobby, and has been known to pass off modern wetplates as originals.
          -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
          "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
          "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
          "The Bully Boys"
          "The Hard Case Boys"
          "The Independant Mess"
          29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
          3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

I agree it definately looks fake. There is a lot that looks wrong to me,but one thing that seems out of place is the amount of foliage at that particular spot on the point. It obviously (if it were period) would have to, have been taken in late spring to summer of 64 onward'. Considering that the mountain was much less covered with vegetation then, this photo looks like it does today there. Here's a common pic of that point, sometime after the battle.

Eric N. Harley-Brown
            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Its a "fake", the subject and the photographer have both been indentified and notified-neither of which were even remotly responsible, nor had any knowledge of. In the sellers defense, she did post that it was of questionable authenticity, she has also removed this item. I dont think that she had any malicious intent. Still a neat image, even if it was taken within the last decade.
              -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
              "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
              "The Bully Boys"
              "The Hard Case Boys"
              "The Independant Mess"
              29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
              3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Working...
              X