Union soldier G. W. Lee wearing Corps Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union soldier G. W. Lee wearing Corps Badge

I just picked up this neat little tintype of G. W. Lee, wearing what appears to be a corps badge. I just love the pose - he has a war-weary look about him. Unfortunately the name is so common I doubt I will be able to figure out what unit he served in.

J. Thomas Giambrone, Esq.

Have History Books, Will Travel.

Re: Union soldier G. W. Lee wearing Corps Badge

Looks like a 9th Army Corps badge. Check units belonging to 9th corps, then cross reference it with NPS soldiers & sailors database. Howerver there are at least 5 other similarly shaped badges in the Military and Historical Image Bank.

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/g...bum22/album72/

Colud be one of those or an unknown badge. Shields were a popular design.
    Last edited by Prodical Reb; 08-07-2010, 10:32 AM. Reason: more info
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

As Mike points out above, just because it is shield shaped dosen't make it a 9th AC badge. It was also a common shape for sutler purchased ID badges which were then engraved with the soldier's name. Nice photo though.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,

Agreed, and already said as much on another collector's forum.

Paul McKee
        Paul McKee

Comment

This would be the common shield ID badge. That is what I think is shown in the picture. You may take a picture or scan and try zooming in on the badge. This works on Ambrotypes and tins but never tried a CDV.
          Attached Files
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Great artifact, Jim, particularly since the only horse ridden during their first few months of active service was Shanks mare. These guys served as infantry throughout the Overland campaign and weren't mounted until 10/64. A unique relic from a unique unit.
            Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Looking at other items you can see in the photo: Looks to be a late war frock or roundabout due to the short collar.
              What does the mark at the bottom of the photo read. Does it say "paper approved for......."?
              Does itave any tax stamps or photograghers marks on the back? here might be a clue there if if there is.
              [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
              Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
              [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
              Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
              Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
              The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                Great artifact, Jim, particularly since the only horse ridden during their first few months of active service was Shanks mare. These guys served as infantry throughout the Overland campaign and weren't mounted until 10/64. A unique relic from a unique unit.
                Thanks for the info. They were armed with Star Carbines and he lost his badge near Globe Tavern in Petersburg. I found a breast plate among the dropped Star bullets and badge and always wondered if someone in that unit lost the plate or someone in another unit that was on the same ground lost it. Since they served as Inf. that may explain it.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim: Some good info on the 24th NY here: http://www.24thnycavalry.com/

If you follow the cited link for the DeLong diary listed on this site you get some insight on the weapons deal. For his diary entries of April 24th and 24th DeLong mentions how the regiment was ordered to turn in their carbines for muskets, which caused outrage. Because of the furor they were allowed to keep them. Todd's "American Military Equipage" indicates the 24th was armed with Starr carbines so your theory is likely correct.

Some other good diary links on there too.
                  Bob Williams

Comment

Working...
                  X