Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co. D, 2nd Tennessee Cavalry at Drill

Co. D, 2nd Tennessee Cavalry at Drill

Looking into an ancestor I had in Co. D of the 2nd and came across this tintype at the new Tennessee Virtual Archives which is trying to get folks to take the initiative required to hunt through their attics, discover all the Civil War history they can contribute to the public, and then do so through the Archive.

This image has stuck out to me for several days, not only because of my blood ties to the company, but also for the somewhat unique view of eastern Tennessee Federal volunteers. ...thought I'd share.
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
    [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
    [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Re: Co. D, 2nd Tennessee Cavalry at Drill

Great shot!!

I can't recall ever seeing a shot of Colt Revolving Rifles in the field before.
    Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Eric, It is a fantastic photo and a great research site for Tennesee CW history. Thanks for sharing it
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Really a nice photo, Eric and I appreciate you bringing it to light.

I am curious as to whether you know if the unit was mounted at the time of this shot and just drilling as dismounted or were they awaiting assignment of mounts by the Fed Govt.?

thanks,
        Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Oh wow. Massive cool. Thanks for sharing.
          Bob Muehleisen
          Furious Five
          Cin, O.

Comment

Speaking of Eastern Tennessee Federals, my g-g-grandfather's unit, 6th Indiana Cavalry recruited two companies (L,M) from Eastern Tennessee in September and October, 1863 while in service near Knoxville with Burnside.
            Mike Ventura
            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

What a mixture of longarms in one company!!!
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Great photo thanks for posting it. I havent seen this one before.
                I like the mixture of sack coats and mounted service jackets. These guys certainly have that "western" look about them dont they!?
                Patrick McAllister
                Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Eric, as previously stated thanks for the link. It's a great photo and there just aren't that many of E.Tenn. federals. I especially like the features on the site that allow you to enlarge specific ponits. That's just perfect for uniform/accouterment research.
                  Eric N. Harley-Brown
                  Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Ditto on the great photo. I find all of the hand coloring very interesting. Most of the rank (stripes and shoulder boards) are gold along with quite a few of the buttons, also the red on the flag stripes and officer sash. I bet company commander must have had his hands full coordinating ammunition for his unit. I am pretty sure I see at least three different long arms present.

Kace
                    Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
                    7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

If you like this photo, order the Images of America booklet entitled "Tennessee's Union Cavalrymen" by Myers Brown. Amazon has it as does the gift shop of the East tennessee Historical Historical Society (where most of the photos in this booklet are reposited). DOZENS of the most awesome images of Tennesse Unionists, particularly the 8th Tennessee Cavalry (US). Talks about great group photos and weapons, this booklet is a bonanza and at $13.50, a bargain.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                        If you like this photo, order the Images of America booklet entitled "Tennessee's Union Cavalrymen" by Myers Brown. Amazon has it as does the gift shop of the East tennessee Historical Historical Society (where most of the photos in this booklet are reposited). DOZENS of the most awesome images of Tennesse Unionists, particularly the 8th Tennessee Cavalry (US). Talks about great group photos and weapons, this booklet is a bonanza and at $13.50, a bargain.
                        I'll second that ! As a matter of fact I was browsing that book a few weeks back,at the Chickamauga visitor center.It's next on the "to purchase" list.
                        Eric N. Harley-Brown
                        Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Working...
                        X