high-res of odd image of soldiers by railroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high-res of odd image of soldiers by railroad

always thought this was such an odd image. All 3 soldiers look so different.

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: high-res of odd image of soldiers by railroad

The one in the middle defiantly has some goofy looking feet. Is there any info on the year / theater this was taken ?
    Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by robert-m View Post
      The one in the middle defiantly has some goofy looking feet. Is there any info on the year / theater this was taken ?
      The caption reads "Manassas Junction, Va. Soldiers beside damaged rolling stock of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, August 1862" So, Second Manassas pretty much.
      Ryan Burns
      The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Great image! I've always loved this one . . .

I know that this image has been discussed before here on the AC. If memory serves me right, it was several years ago & prior to some overhauls/crashes of the site. Perhaps one of the mods can link that old thread up -- providing it's still around.
        Matthew Easley

Comment

I feel rather unprepossessing now.
          Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

I'm always interested in the position of the leathers and canteens. Both these guys are wearing their canteens down by their butts.Looks like one of them is carryng an Enfield rifled musket. The soldier with the musket on his shoulder also appears to be wearng dark blue pants more like the color of his sack coat.
            [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              I'm always interested in the position of the leathers and canteens. Both these guys are wearing their canteens down by their butts.Looks like one of them is carryng an Enfield rifled musket. The soldier with the musket on his shoulder also appears to be wearng dark blue pants more like the color of his sack coat.
              May be a dark grey as well. WOuld English Kersey (Peter Tait) show up dark perhaps?

Oh and the middle guy is obviously from Middle Earth LOL.
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

One thing I liked was the guy with hobbit feet is carrying a short roll instead of the usual horse collar.
                Robert Collett
                8th FL / 13th IN
                Armory Guards
                WIG

Comment

Any speculation on which side these boys were on? That may seem like an obvious answer...however:
                  The young man setting appears to have on a federal blouse, rubber blanket, jeff bootes....
                  Shoeless man standing however does not seem to be quite so regulation....is he wearing a frock? He seems to be wearing his collar a little strangely and it seems to be a little long to me for a blouse.
                  Then there's the guy on the right...who knows about those trousers but they do seem to be cuffed like some enlisted gov't trousers were..except I’m not sure I see the "v-slit" that I would expect.
                  Three different coats, at least two variations of trousers, maybe three different hats. Also, the guy on the right could be carrying a Springfield (I think I can see the pin behind back ring). Now, before I get bombarded...I know it's surely possible that federals be dressed so differently (nothing even says they are all from the same unit). But, you have to admit...they do seem a little motley for a group of feds.
                  Luke Gilly
                  Breckinridge Greys
                  Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
                    Any speculation on which side these boys were on? That may seem like an obvious answer...however:
                    The young man setting appears to have on a federal blouse, rubber blanket, jeff bootes....
                    Shoeless man standing however does not seem to be quite so regulation....is he wearing a frock? He seems to be wearing his collar a little strangely and it seems to be a little long to me for a blouse.
                    Then there's the guy on the right...who knows about those trousers but they do seem to be cuffed like some enlisted gov't trousers were..except I’m not sure I see the "v-slit" that I would expect.
                    Three different coats, at least two variations of trousers, maybe three different hats. Also, the guy on the right could be carrying a Springfield (I think I can see the pin behind back ring). Now, before I get bombarded...I know it's surely possible that federals be dressed so differently (nothing even says they are all from the same unit). But, you have to admit...they do seem a little motley for a group of feds.
                    My thoughts too which is why I asked about the possibility of dark grey or Peter Tait on the dark trousers. Of course I see a lot of Fed gear as well such as the rubber blanket, scabbards, tarred haversacks (could still be confed though), forage caps too but one thing I've learned in this hobby is to not jump to conclusions too fast. Only looking at it from an alternate possibility.
                    Robert Collett
                    8th FL / 13th IN
                    Armory Guards
                    WIG

Comment

It's certainly possible that one or more of these are johnnies. That kid who is sitting down is about as Yankee as they come though. He'd have been shot at without a moment's hesitation by a Confederate picket with that appearance.

Bilbo Baggins and the other kid...who knows. Bilbo's hat is certainly non-typical of traditional federal garb (especially in the east), but his pants appear to be the exact same shade as the obvious Yankee kid, and is that a frock he is wearing?. The kid in the dark certainly looks to be a Federal as well, with the forage cap and Springfield he is toting. But what's up with those pants in late '62?

Also interesting that the sitting kid doesn't appear to be wearing a belt, at least not over his cartridge box.

I can't recall an image of a group of Federals containing such "variforms". Not a damn one among them seem remotely alike.

It'd be really amazing if one of them was a johnny though (unfortunately I think they are all Yanks). Imagine the awesomeness of having a Yank and a Reb in the same shot........maybe that is why the two on the right are facing away from the camera *Twilight Zone Music*
                      Ryan Burns
                      The Skulkers Mess

Comment

They all three have Enfields at least it appears that way. The sling on the one on the far right goes all the way up to the muzzle almost. Billbo has one and the kid sitting has one, look at the lock and the sites, and the sling swivel is up top.
                        Last edited by robert-m; 08-15-2010, 11:03 PM.
                        Robert Melville

Comment

he definitely moved during the exposure. His enfield is blurry too. Stay still kid!
                          Ryan Burns
                          The Skulkers Mess

Comment

They all three have Enfields at least it appears that way. The sling on the one on the far right goes all the way up to the muzzle almost. Billbo has one and the kid sitting has one, look at the lock and the sites, and the sling swivel is up top.
                            Yea you are right. I thought I saw a barrel band spring on the dark suited kid's rifle and so I figured Springfield, but I see what you mean.
                            Ryan Burns
                            The Skulkers Mess

Comment

There were some later model Enfields with some barrel springs. Let me rephrase that. I have seen some repo's with them. It falls in the same boat as the 1839 TOWER smoothboore Enfield. It being a .76 cal. kinda makes it hard to use, but they were used my some N.Y. and some P.A. militia units via private purchase. So yeah.
                              Robert Melville

Comment

Working...
                              X