WOW! Co. G, 93rd NY closeups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW! Co. G, 93rd NY closeups

This is dated as August 1863 in Bealeton, Virginia.

This is just a sick nasty image:

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: WOW! Co. G, 93rd NY closeups

How can you use the words "sick and nasty" when this outfit has its Company Flower Holders, seated right front, in the image? 1860 flowerchildren! And, bu 1863 only one New York shell jacket in the Co., directly behind the flowerchildren.
    S.Sullivan
    Last edited by rogue; 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

awful lot of hat brass.....clearly they aren't on the AC. sweet mutton chops on the sgt by the NY state jacket fellow.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I get a kick out of the fact that the Flower Children also look like they'd beat the snot out of you at the drop of a hat.

My understanding, from ransacking the LoC images, is that the three high res group images posted here over the last few days were taken during a photo project Alexander Gardner did in the fall of '63 where he seems to have been catching men pretty much in camp and photographing them on short notice, so they should all contemporaneous to each other. If I remember right, he took a number of images of the 93rd NY.

Hat brass, and NYS belt buckles. It's interesting to see the variation betwqeen the 93rd here and the Bucktails image of a few days agos as far as hats. Seems to be at the discretion of the regimental big bugs what you could get away with.
        [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
        [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
        Independent Volunteers
        [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Any guess as to what is in the guy on the far right's breast pocket?? If that was taken today I'd say: that farb has a pack of marlboro lights in his coat.

Ryan Burns
          The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Ryan,

Thats the first thought that went through my mind, actually Bible or cigs? By the way what device is on the hats of the two fellows on the left? Standing and middle row.

Ken Irvin
            The Skulkers Mess

PS "G" and a 93, thats what it is.
            Ken Irvin

Comment

Ken,
              I think it is the numerals "9 3" under the letter "G". As to the pocket I'd say a new testament or it could be a rectangular tobacco tin.
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Sir,
                Once again, outstanding images! Thank you. Perhaps a deck of cards in the soldier's pocket ? Notice the officer's shoes ; they resemble ladies' lace up shoes of the 1890's.
                all for the old flag,
                David Corbett
                Dave Corbett

Comment

Originally posted by OleMissRebel View Post
                  Any guess as to what is in the guy on the far right's breast pocket?? If that was taken today I'd say: that farb has a pack of marlboro lights in his coat.

Judging by the length of the pack, those are clearly 100's.

Great Picture. I really noticed the diversity of shirts worn by the men. That one fella is just yelling, "HEY, look at my checkered shirt!"
                  V/R
                  [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Three of them have taken off the chin strap from their caps! Also remarkable how long some of the visors are. Rectangualr shape but small diametre crown. pretty interesting!
                    Jan H.Berger
                    Hornist

German Mess
                    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Yeah, the "muted rank" officer's shoes are something to behold. I couldn't tell if they were "quilted" or high lace up. What I see as really interesting is the high gloss sheen on the belt buckles of several private soldiers. And I like the way many have the bills of their caps flipped up, while others have the collars of their issue dress coats turned down.
                      Thanks for sharing.
                      Paul Hadley
                      Paul Hadley

Comment

I like how all 3 officers look so different.

The captain has the frock but with a kepi. One Lt. (my fav guy in the pic I think...I like his style) has a frock but with a Hardee hat and a bad to the bone beard. The other officer, I'm assuming another Lt., looks to be wearing a private purchase sack with a kepi. Also, check out his shoes. They look like high tops.

Also, I've counted 36 enlisted men and 3 officers. Small for a company I suppose. Although at the start of the Wilderness campaign the regiment only had 433 engaged (of which 258 were killed or wounded...yikes).
                        Last edited by OleMissRebel; 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM.
                        Ryan Burns
                        The Skulkers Mess

Comment

edit: Fife player

Last edited by OleMissRebel; 08-20-2010, 12:02 PM.
                          Ryan Burns
                          The Skulkers Mess

Comment

So I checked the NY online records to see who the officers of Co. G were at the time the photo was taken and came up with this:

Capt. William Beekman, aged 22. Discharged for disability August 8, 1864

1st Lt. Francis Bailey, aged 26. Made Captain of Co I. in May, 1864. Discharged for wounds, Petersburg, August 1864

2nd Lt. Robert Gray, aged 20. Killed in action at the Wilderness, May 5th 1864.

So we know who the Captain is, but gotta figure out which officer is which. Who looks to be 20? Private purchase coat guy or Hardee hat guy? I really can't tell.
                            Ryan Burns
                            The Skulkers Mess

Comment

Ryan,
                              I would say it isn't hard to figure out that the man laid out on the ground is wearing First Lieutenant boards, while the other officer is not wearing boards at all. I also think it is worth pointing out that the 93rd NY had yet to actually serve in combat at this point, having been the Headquarters Guard for the army since the Battle of Williamsburg in May of 1862, so it should be noted that while they marched with the army, they may not be representative of what a combat unit would have looked like. This is even more true when you consider that they were around the army headquarters and probably tried to keep up a higher level of dress for the brass there.
                              Andrew Roscoe,
                              The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
                              24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                              X