Large size shot of the pickets by the fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large size shot of the pickets by the fire

In the past few years I've come across several people asking for a larger size image of this shot. I don't have any information on this picture, but behind the shot of the Confederates marching through Frederick, Maryland, this might be my favorite image from the war (makes a great desktop background too!)

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: Large size shot of the pickets by the fire

That's the front cover on a Time Life book I have called "Soldier Life" and all the information it gives about the photo is "Waging the soldier's never-ending struggle for comfort, the Union men capture what warmth they can find from a small fire."

This is one of my favorite photos also. I love catching glimpses of un-posed aspects of the private soldier's life.
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I've always wondered about the soldier with his back to the fire: that is one incredibly thin blanket he has twisted over his shoulder!
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
        that is one incredibly thin blanket he has twisted over his shoulder!
        I wonder if that's actually what it is.

A couple of years ago, I searched high and low to make a specialty item for a long event--a man requested a proper 'double shawl'. I made it of a high quality tropical weight wool. Rolled and twisted, it had an appearance very much like the one in the image. In use, he reported it to be very warm for its weight, taking up little room and extremely water resistant in an absolute deluge.

No real way to discern what is in the picture, but certainly a thought, given that men did wear such during the period.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I always thought it perhaps a rubber blanket or poncho.

I love this image. Thanks for posting!
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
            I wonder if that's actually what it is.

A couple of years ago, I searched high and low to make a specialty item for a long event--a man requested a proper 'double shawl'. I made it of a high quality tropical weight wool. Rolled and twisted, it had an appearance very much like the one in the image. In use, he reported it to be very warm for its weight, taking up little room and extremely water resistant in an absolute deluge.

No real way to discern what is in the picture, but certainly a thought, given that men did wear such during the period.
            Could the man standing have something similar around his neck or is that just a regular old scarf?
            Ryan Burns
            The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
            3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I believe that's actually his greatcoat cape wrapped around his shoulders.
              [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
              [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
              Independent Volunteers
              [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

It may be a number of things around his neck but it just might be a blanket. For some of you that have the Pea Ridge blanket from the Wisconsin Veterans Museum you know how thin it is. I've spent a few cold nights under that blanket wishing I would have brought a different or second blanket.
                Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Well, the standing guy has no cape hanging down over his coat. I would say that's because it's been pulled up around his shoulders and neck.
                  [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                  [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
                  Independent Volunteers
                  [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Working...
                  X