Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M. Hezekiah Allen 13th Alabama Infantry (Early War)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M. Hezekiah Allen 13th Alabama Infantry (Early War)

Found this on the Alabama Dep of Archives and History. Great looking coat! Is that an overcoat I wonder.

Thoughts gents?

NCS1863
    Nathan C. Saunders

[B]NCS 1863[/B]
    [COLOR="blue"][I][B][SIZE="2"]Nathan C. Saunders[/SIZE][/B][/I][/COLOR]

[B][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]"Many of the grizzled veterans wept like women, and my own eyes were as blind as my voice was dumb" Major Henry Kyd Douglas at the surrender at Appotmattox.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Re: M. Hezekiah Allen 13th Alabama Infantry (Early War)

Here is a link to the photo

Nathan Saunders
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-11-2010, 06:38 PM.
    [B]NCS 1863[/B]

[B][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]"Many of the grizzled veterans wept like women, and my own eyes were as blind as my voice was dumb" Major Henry Kyd Douglas at the surrender at Appotmattox.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Is that an overcoat I wonder.

That's sort of what it looks like to me. There are three visible collars. Is that the top button of a uniform jacket peeking out from over the collar of the outer coat? Those buttons have been moved over a mile!

Great image!
      Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

Good-looking boy. Old thread(s) discussed how few people 150 years ago seem to look like us today. With his "modern" haircut and wearing baggy bermudas, a teeshirt featuring a picture of a skull eating another skull (saw that in court yesterday), and a skateboard under his arm, he'd fit right in. Looks like the ubiquitous early war issue M.1816/22 musket.
        David Fox

Comment

Someone will have to refresh my memory, but did the 13th serve in the ANV? I can see the button you're talking of Murph. That coat just looks confederate! I love it! Looks like a jean type material with wooden dish buttons. Just a hunch but it's probably the one he brought from home that doesn' t look confed issue but I could be wrong. Possibly one sent from home by a loved one? I like the three pockets too. Looks pretty warm.

NCS1863
          Nathan C. Saunders
          Last edited by NCS1863; 09-11-2010, 01:35 PM. Reason: add name and text
          [B]NCS 1863[/B]

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks his cap box looks extra large? Neat image and I'm thinking overcoat, too.
            Pat Brown

Comment

I'd guess he's pretty early war since it looks as though he doesn't look like he knows exactly how to wear his accoutrements properly also. Look at that cap box... He looks like a green recruit.

That is, unless, he was propped by the photographer and he didn't bother to adjust them.
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Mr. Saunders,

Yes, the 13th was an ANV unit. It served in Colquitt's brigade of D.H. Hill's Division and later transferred to Archer's Brigade.

Will MacDonald

Comment

The coat is clearly an 'overcoat', but it looks civilian to me, not military.
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                    I'd guess he's pretty early war since it looks as though he doesn't look like he knows exactly how to wear his accoutrements properly also. Look at that cap box... He looks like a green recruit.

That is, unless, he was propped by the photographer and he didn't bother to adjust them.
                    Maybe he or the photographer were trying to cover up the belt buckle with the cap box so it wouldn't appear mirrored?
                    Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by Skutatos View Post
                      Maybe he or the photographer were trying to cover up the belt buckle with the cap box so it wouldn't appear mirrored?
                      Could be... I don't think we'll ever know what the motivation for the picture and the picture's curcumstances were was that day.
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                      SCAR
                      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                      X