Thomas Marion Murphree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Marion Murphree

Sir and ma'am, this image may be found at http://www.archives.alabama.gov/ and this page,

The caption reads, "Thomas Marion Murphree was a private in Co. E of the 6th Alabama Infantry. He was later transferred to Co. H of the 57th Alabama regiment as a second lieutenant.

Good look at a well worn uniform.
    Last edited by yeoman; 09-11-2010, 08:00 PM.
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Thomas Marion Murphree

There are no words to describe how awesome this photograph is. I am speechless.
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

And one worn late in life by a man still spare enough to wear it.

Note the Confederate Veterans Medal. Thomas Marion Murphree was born in 1843-1844 (records vary) and died in October of 1914. He is buried in the Murphree Cemetary in Pike County, Alabama

There's more than one image of him in this uniform:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...ty=80&CSsr=81&

I like his hat better in this one.:tounge_sm
      Last edited by Spinster; 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

This Jacket is located in the museum at the Confederate Park in Marbury AL.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Well that answers that question Galen. I was utterly convinced that I knew the face and went over and over the records for the Marbury cemetaries, looking for him. Took me a bit to go over to Pike County and find him, as he wasn't in the first pass of records I found for the Murphree Cemetary.

Still, I don't think I would have remembered a face so clearly from 'just another uniform in a case'. Did he live/die at the Marbury Home? Do I remember him from the film? Now that hooks me, and I see their faces in my dreams, especially the women.

Yes, I admit I'm more excited about the plain fully lined black silk dress I first inspected in Marbury last April, and a credentialed expert has since confirmed, but this does remind me that I have some stitch counting to do on a table runner and some help for that wheelchair now that I've secured a needed material
          Last edited by Spinster; 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Sir and ma'am, after posting this image I see Bob Williams, roundshot, has a thread here with a discussion of Mr. Murphrees' jacket.
            Post 5 from the thread also has the link for the above image. Sorry for the repetition and walk over.
            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
            X