Zouave Contraband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zouave Contraband

This is an odd but great photo I found while looking for something different. It appears to be contraband or camp servants armed and posing for a camp photo. I'm wondering if they were part of a Zouave regiment and that explains the fez's

Marvin
    Attached Files
    Marvin Greer
    Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Re: Zouave Contraband

Any chance those are not fez's but the "Michigan Hats" or "Canada Caps" that are often seen in images of the 4th Michigan Infantry? Some of their photos also show African-American "servants."
    ~ Chris Hubbard
    Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
    [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Could be a non-Zoave US Colored Unit that has bought for themselves camp hats and are posing for fun.

Fun pic. Shows a a great human side to the warriors that fought to make America free.

Thanks, Marvin- Johnny
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

They do look like the "Michigan Hats" or "Canada Caps"
        Marvin Greer
        Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

I think the boy in your image the one with the sword strikes a resemblance to the boy in the foreground of this 4th Michigan image.
          ~ Chris Hubbard
          Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
          [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I saw this image in a series of photographs from the New York State Historical Society labeled as members of the 23rd New York Infantry. That said, I have my doubts. The theory several of you purported, that these are actually camp servants of the 4th Michigan, also seems a good one to me. The hats are right on, and the wooded background makes me think of this Matthew Brady camp life series of the Fourth: http://www.4thmichigan.com/4th_mi_ca...hotographs.htm.

Also, that banjo is awesome. I wish I could hear it played.
            Last edited by Dusty Merritt; 12-20-2010, 10:49 PM. Reason: forgot to mention banjo
            Brendan Hamilton
            Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

I agree abut the Canada caps and the 4th Mich connection. Nice information.
              While scrolling through the various photos I was again struck by the circular buckles worn by the musicians.
              Can anyone supply an example and details of this buckle and a source of modern reproduction?

Erik Simundson
              Erik Simundson

Comment

Erik,

I believe the musicians could be wearing baldric buckles on their waist belts.
                Brian White
                [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Good conclusion and perhaps correct as there is no sign of a locket plate style.
                  Any one who has done this? I would appreciate any info.

Erik Simundson
                  Erik Simundson

Comment

I found this image to be interesting as well, in the LOC (Rep #: LC-DIG-ppmsca-27014) it is titled as: Unidentified African American soldier in Union Zouave uniform. Any idea what unit this may have been? Special thanks to Yulanda Burgess for bringing attention to it.
                    Last edited by Andrew Jarvi; 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM. Reason: additional comments
                    Respectfully yours,
                    Andrew Jarvi
                    [URL="http://darbycreekboys.webs.com/index.html"]Darby Creek Boys[/URL]

Kamfet brav fur Freiheit und Recht

Comment

Marvin:

Perhaps this image was taken at Hilton Head Island? I can recall seeing several camp images of New Hampshire Infantry at Hilton Head with similar headgear. I did a google image search of the 3rd New Hampshire Infantry and some interesting results popped-up. Hope this helps in your quest.

Respectfully,
                      Ken

Comment

Am an historian of the banjo. Looking for exact provenance of this picture (in other words enough so I can quote it as a source in a presentation or article). Write me at blackbanjotony@hotmail.com
                        TTony Thomas

Comment

Working...
                        X